VMWARE Backup

batu

Newcomer
Reaction score
All,

Does anyone use VRanger to backup VM clients to TSM? My company is using backing up around 200 VMs through VRanger to TSM. As a result the nightly backup of the VRanger exceeds 350GB, and it is not only taking up a lot of space but also slowing down the overall TSM performance. We are considering backing up VMs individually as a regular host instead of through VRanger.

It will be great if anyone can share his/her experience of VM backup.

Best,

TSM Client 6 has a tool to backup vmware, i am using it to backup my servers that are on vmware

Can that TSM v6 client run to a v5.5.4 TSM server and still perform the VMWare backups?

yes tsm client 6.1 or 6.2 can take vmware backup with TSM server 5.5

I am not sure if this would help. vRanger is used to complement TSM and not use as a one solution fits all.

Since vRanger is unable to direct to tape, you should use it to schedule your backup for your VMs off production hours and take the opportunity to transfer to tape for archive purpose during production hours since the "holding tank" of your vRanger backup would not be of impact.

However if you choose to do all at one time then you would need to estimate your time. Creaete mutiple jobs with different folders and have TSM run concurrently perhaps after your first backup via vRanger,

Back