VMWare Backup Tools component in TSM 6.2

acamera

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
hi all

a simple (and maybe silly) question:

what does the option "Vmware backup tools" stands for in the tsm client 6.2?

I am assuming it is needed for backing up vmware servers through Virtual center (with the command dsmc backup vm -vmlist=myvmserver1,myvmserver2) , but even if I do not install it I see the VM Backup tab..

does it mean that I am still able to run the command for backing up the VM server?

tia

regards

Alberto

Hi acamera,

i assume, that if you don't install the vmware components, that after triggering the "backup vm vmname -vmbackuptype=vmfull/vmfile" that it ends with an error because it can not find the vStorageApi or the VCB framework.

Installing the VCB framework and the vmware components works fine for both backups/restores.

but on the server the VCB framework is already installed. (was installed with the virtual center setup)

therefore my question:
what does contain the option of tivoli client:
Vmware backup tools

I am assuming it should not be the VCB framework are the Vstorage API for TSM?

thanks

Alberto

hi,

the vStorageAPI and a windows services gets installed with this option. VMFile backup/restore can be archived via the vcb but is going to be deprecated from vmware when release 4.5 hits the shelfs.

thanks for the explanation!

I will start implementing the VMWare backup with this option,

regards

Alberto

Has somebody implemented VM backup via vstorage api and restore by file ? V6.2 doc is unclear, as it tells the same story than the 5.5 doc...

Regards
Pierre

Back