VMware backup expiration problem

lidra

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I thought I should share some information I got around issues with VM full backups and expiration.

If you perform VM full backups using a mount point on one file space (C drive for example) and then you move the mount point to another file space (D drive for example), the last version of the VM backed up on the C drive will never expire.
The reason IBM gave was that it is different filespace, so they are considered different backups all together.
The funny part is hey are marked as inactive backups (so it looks to me this is not properly implemented).

This means, if you have 100-200 VMs that use to backup on one drive, and then you moved to another drive, then you should probably check what restores you can do, and you will notice the old one no longer expire.

One easy solution IBM gave me was to delete the whole old filespace (usable but not all the time).
The other one was to delete the backups one by one.

Cheers,

Lidra

IBM advised me how to delete a Full VM backup from TSM. All details on this link:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21418136

Text attached for reference as well:

Question
How to delete a single FullVM backup from the Tivoli Storage Manager for a Tivoli Storage Manager Client.

Answer
As there is no delete command to delete a FullVM backup, the following procedure can be used to accomplish the task:
1. Make sure the backup proxy node has TSM backdel authority. From the Admin command line:
dsmadmc> update node BPROXY backdel=yes

2. From the Backup/archive command line. Query the filespaces and you will see the VMware Full VM backup images are under the virtual filespace "VMFULL".
dsmc>query filespace *

3. Use the Delete Group command with -pick option to see all the Full VM images that can be selected for deletion:
dsmc>delete group {VMFULL}\* -ina -pick

*note: You will be prompted 'All backup files in this group will be deleted. Do you wish to proceed? (Yes (Y)/No (N)' You should answer YES to this prompt. This will not delete until you select an individual group to delete on the follow pick screen.

4. Now, just select the number of the FullVM that you want to delete.

5. Select <O>=Ok to proceed with the delete.

Back