Virtual Volumes not deleting

toddz2000

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I currently have a bunch of virtual volumes that are not deleting after they have been reclaimed. I can delete 1 by 1 but this will take some time.
any short cuts.

~todd

virtual volumes? Do you mean volumes on a FILE device class? If so, the REUSEDELAY on the storage pool is probably>0, so they will not delete right away.

do you have the RELABELSCRATCH on for the library that these tapes are in?

these are actual virtual volumes(server to server), not tape volumes.
My tapes are fine, i hope.

As msonney has indicated, make sure that RELABELSCRATCH is set to YES for your VTL library, in TSM.

Also...make sure you are at the supported level of TSM server for using a VTL. The older 5.5.x.x versions did TERRIBLE things to virtual tapes, like relabeling them with another tape's barcode number!!! If you want to have a couple of horrible months, let this happen (like it did to us.)

Good luck.

d_i_t

I am currently going through the same issue and have been assured that TSM 5.5.2 (and later) has all the patches for previous relabeling issues.
You mentioned that these are virtual tapes which still get defined in some kind of library (even if it's a virtual lib), what VTL are you using?

These are virtual volumes Todd is using, not virtual tapes in a VTL - very different things, and the relabelling thing is not related.

Todd can you post a q vol f=d for a couple of the volumes that aren't being deleted?

Are you running expiration on the destination server?

Back