Using old GUI with TSM 5.4.2

janecb

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

We are using the old TSM GUI (unsupported, I know). It works fine on 7 of our 9 servers (AIX 5.3) One has a black screen every time we open the browser, and both truncate all the numbers, making administration pretty difficult - SESSION 564,399 would show up as 564. Cancelling or querying on the schedule is impossible.

Just opening our ISC takes 2 or 3 minutes, and going through the opening process is extremely painful.

Any suggestions?

Jane

Just my 2cents
are you using IE 7?
I am pretty sure that your on Firefox...

and, are you sure that you did not have any problem running the AIX.idl file when you upgraded your server?????

and what are these two file are present in your TSM bin directory
CommandLine.class
WebConsole.class

I am using IE, and the aix.dll ran fine and both of those files are in the server/bin directory.

Its very strange.. one of the servers is a second instance on a server.. and the other one is fine.

Jane

Hello Jane,

Like MOST sane people, I loved the old TSM GUI. And I could have wringed the necks of the IBM people who made the brilliant decision to change/eliminate it. That being said...what I did was learn the command line a WHOLE lot better than I ever did before, and use the ISC for as little as possible. This may not be what you wanted to hear, but it beats banging your head against the ISC wall. I started keeping text files of regularly used (and not so regularly used) commands, for future reference, and I have gone back to this well time and time again, rather than deal with the pain of the ISC.

And if you don't have one already, I highly recommend a GOOD text editor, like UltraEdit. This is a TSM-er's best friend, it works great, and it is cheap. My favorite feature of this product is its ability to do columnar editing, which really comes in handy with TSM. I use UltraEdit every single day, many times. And IT opens up in about ONE SECOND...

Good luck!!

Dennis B.

Back