Urgent help needed with import node!

cheffern

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi -

I have a tape that I shipped off from my server to another server (a new server with no data on it). I don't have access to the other server, but what I did was export the node to a tape, checkout the tape and mail it to him. He has created the server so with everything I think he needs - he has ran an import node -

But the thing is that I archived the data before the export node - with authentication off so he would not have passwd issues -

But now he cannot see the archive sets when he pulls up the dsmj GUI (or Admin GUI, same difference...)

q filespace node works - shows what is on the tape.

How can we get it off the tape - are we missing a crucial step?

I had him created the domain, policyset, mgmt class for import.

I thought the import would not need all that, but just in case...we just need him to be able to restore the import to disk.

Client has a TSM server setup with client on the same box. Both have been called 'node' the same as what I exported - for ease (so I thought...).

Please help!

TIA -

-Chris

I should say, however, that when he does a backup restore it shows the filesystems I archived - but no data to restore.

It should be under archive retrieve though - Right? Since I archived???

Ok, let me try another way.

If I export a node to a tape, is the process to get it imported to another server simply to mount the tape on the new server (drive/lib whatever) and 'import node'?

Thanks -

All;

It sounds like the export to data only exported "active" data - which in your case is nothing.

I would do two things: Since you have the second server in place - establish server to server communications and export server.

Or

Rerun the export to tape but include type=any.

Or if is something minor - create a backupset and set it and do a restore based off that export set.

But my guess either of the two will work. Also you could always export with preview to insure your export is going to work.

Steven

Hi - thanks for the reply.

In actuality - the archive data was the only data backed up - 1 set. So it should have been active, no? This being that we normally back up this client using Legato - this was just an alternate one-time solution we offered to provide for this guy.

We ran it as an Archive before realizing that it may not be time protected on the new server - as opposed to just simply backing it off to tape as a backup.

We didn't do export server or supply them with the db info because this server is totally in a new environment, and the ppl we had to ship to are not authorized to have all the info. One of our handy regulations... So server - to - server is out of the question...firewall rules etc...

And unfortunately we are taling about 200 GB of data all compressed. Not something insignificant - basically he needs the whole server (ie, what is on the tapes) restored to another env.

Can you further explain how a backupset would work for the client?

I have posted before on this regard, only a few weeks ago, and someone suggested we had to give them the db info. When we read over the 'export/import node' commands for version 5.3, it seemed like this would suffice (without the db), as said person had suggested it may in the newer verions. It (the docs) never mentioned having to import the db or server when using the export command to get client info to a new server. We had hoped that this would be ok 'as is' per version 5.3 - but had no env to test this on beforehand...

I basically just need him to be able to get data off a tape that isn't local to his server...I would think an export - import would have worked ok :confused:

At this point he has 'imported' the node. I have supplied him with an additional 'archive' of the data on tape - can he retrieve from this? The import is showing the FS in question - in backup restore form (not archive retrieve form as expected) but the data was not readily available. This told me that it knows the data should be there...

The biggest issue here is time. I had to ship the tapes to him and it took 2 days already...

So any other ideas as to how he can get the data off of the import or the archive tape copy is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steven for the reply!

Here's a thought, not sure if it would work in this case. Have your considered implementing virtual volumes??

To get back to backup sets. A point in time Snapshot, on media. Then this backup sent the client. And a restoration of that backupset on the new server. If I remember correctly, The only requirement would be the same device class. According to the 5.3 manual, as you execute the -localbackupset=yes variable - to bypass the initial logon to the TSM server to restore the data. Perfect for a standalone machine and you do not want to contact the TSM server.

This option is set within the dsm.opt file.

From here you can then execute:

dsmc restore backupset backupsetname {\\machinename\c$}\* c:\destdir -subdir=yes.

I would double check the syntax, you know how manuals can be.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Back