Upgrading Windows BAClients to 5.3.4.0

jazz

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hope somebody can help.

I am planning to upgrade the existing version of BAClient on all our Windows Servers (2000 & 2003) to the latest and greatestversion 5.3.4.0.

Pretty new to this game so my questions are a bit amateurish for which I apologise.

Do I need to uninstall the existing version of BAClient in order to upgrade to latest?

Will my dsm.opt file be preserved when I upgrade?

On current Windows 2003 Server machines (BAClient 5.3.2.0) I get SNAPSHOT failures during the backups. Will 5.3.4.0 fix this?

Many thanks in advance for your help. :confused:

From my experience you do not need to uninstall the older version. we use scripts to upgrade our TSM clients. The script does the following, stops all TSM schedulers, upgrades the TSM client then restarts the TSM schedulers. I use the following msiexec options in my scirpts: msiexec /i "u:\tivoli\tsmcli532\TSMcli532.msi" rebootyesno=no reboot=reallysuppress installdir="c:\tsm" /qn /l*v! "c:\instsmlog.log". The opt files are left intact. Hope this helps.

if you have install the "Online Image " Module,

it is recommanded to uninstall with the set up wizard "dsm gui ==> tool ==> setup wizard"

then reboot the machine.

if there is no "online image" you can do it with no trouble.

as cheffern said, the dsm.opt is not remove during the upgrade

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hope somebody can help.

I am planning to upgrade the existing version of BAClient on all our Windows Servers (2000 &amp; 2003) to the latest and greatestversion 5.3.4.0.

Pretty new to this game so my questions are a bit amateurish for which I apologise.

Do I need to uninstall the existing version of BAClient in order to upgrade to latest?

Will my dsm.opt file be preserved when I upgrade?

On current Windows 2003 Server machines (BAClient 5.3.2.0) I get SNAPSHOT failures during the backups. Will 5.3.4.0 fix this?

Many thanks in advance for your help. :confused: </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't use the client version 5.3.4! The instal package is not complete and it has lots of bugs. The last stable version is 5.3.3 and I recommend to install that.

We are using it for image backups of C partition on W2K3, storing the snapshot cache on the same partition, without problem.

To upgrade client, first stop the scheduler services, uninstall client, reboot, install new client (reboot if needed) and start schedulers. As ja954 wrote.

That should work. :cool:

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Don't use the client version 5.3.4! The instal package is not complete and it has lots of bugs. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

> can you expain a little more this? I'm deploying the 5.3.4.0 for a month now on Win2k &amp; 2k3 with the OpenFile Support and it works very well, it helped us reducing the incidents number caused by the open files. I use this version with TDP Oracle, Exchange, SQL and on a cluster config too without problems!

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>The last stable version is 5.3.3 and I recommend to install that.

We are using it for image backups of C partition on W2K3, storing the snapshot cache on the same partition, without problem.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

> it works very fine with the 5.3.4.0 too, the only inconvenient is that you have to reboot the server before using the OpenFile Support.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>To upgrade client, first stop the scheduler services, uninstall client, reboot, install new client (reboot if needed) and start schedulers. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

> so true!

Hi,

I want to use .msi file to install new version clients such as ja954:

msiexec /i "u:\tivoli\tsmcli532\TSMcli532.msi" rebootyesno=no reboot=reallysuppress installdir="c:\tsm" /qn /l*v! "c:\instsmlog.log"

But I must to choose option "Custom/Administrative Command Line Files/This feature, and all subfeatures, will be installed on local hard drive." from Setup Type Custom.

Is it possible to do it without modification .msi?

Is any config file to do it?

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hi,

I want to use .msi file to install new version clients such as ja954:

msiexec /i "u:tivolitsmcli532TSMcli532.msi" rebootyesno=no reboot=reallysuppress installdir="c:tsm" /qn /l*v! "c:instsmlog.log"

But I must to choose option "Custom/Administrative Command Line Files/This feature, and all subfeatures, will be installed on local hard drive." from Setup Type Custom.

Is it possible to do it without modification .msi?

Is any config file to do it?</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, here's how is done :

msiexec /i %PACKAGE% RebootYesNo="No" REBOOT="Suppress" ALLUSERS=1 INSTALLDIR="E:TSM" ADDLOCAL="BackupArchiveGUI,BackupArchiveWeb,ApiRuntime,AdministrativeCmd,OFS" TRANSFORMS=1033.mst /qn /l*v "E:tempinstall_tsm_client.log"

where %PACKAGE% is the name of the msi package you want to install.

AdministrativeCmd = the Admonistrative Client Command Line

OFS = Open File Support

Tip : better to copy the package locally on the computer you want to install it, mounting a network drive on Windows 2000 some time cause problems!

cheers!

A few additions:

I'm new here as well, and I need to upgrade our filecluster with multiple agents to the latest 5.3.4. Does anyone have documentation or experience with upgrading TSM clients in an MS clustered environment?

In reply to Spidermilla:

When you upgrade your client from 5.3.x to 5.3.(x+1) you do not need to uninstall the TSM client.

5.3.4 has been out for about 4 months, and from what I hear, its quite solid.

Rello

Back