unloaddb and library setup

haberde

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello all,

We recently exported all of our clients to a new TSM server. Before I finish deleting everything, I would like to unload the database and reload for the experience. The documentation states that the library must be manual. Is there a way to do the unload using the automated library? My old server is currently a library client and I'm not sure how to setup a manual library for this. I also read that the dumpdb command uses the devconfig file and was wondering if that would be a better test? My configuration is:

AIX 5.3
TSM 5.3.3
Library is IBM 3584

My database was 220 GB, now less than 10% utilized and about 84% fragmented now that I have deleted most of the data. My customer has given me a very short window to do this test so I need to start on Monday. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I would really like to test this before I am forced to do it on a production server. Thanks.

Hi,

220GB 10% utilized? You can use devclass FILE for that - even NFS mount can handle that.
IMHO there is a dirty way - as your library client sees the drive on SAN, you can define manual library for this drive (on library client), checkout the tape from the library on library manager, put the drive to offline state on the library manager, move the tape to the drive (using library web control or front panel) and now you have your manual library not interfering with library manager ....
I would try the FILE .. 20G is not much.

Harry

Thanks. I didn't realize that you only needed the space for the utilized portion, I was assuming you had to have space for the alloted database. I also appreciate the suggestion about the library.

Back