Unable to checkin the DBbackup tape for the next use

arunbabup

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am very new to TSM domain.. Feel very pleasure to meet u all here...

I have taken a dbbackup (400MB appx) to a scratch volume. After 15 days of usage i want to reuse the tape again for the dbbackup. But am unable to checkin the tape into the library. Please suggest me what are the probable errors.

1. Volume problem or
2. Hardware problem (Library)

Kindly let me know what is the solution

DB Backups won't expire on their own, you need to have something like this command running during your housekeeping:

del volh t=dbb tod=-15

That removes the reference to any tapes marked as being 'dbb' (Database Backup) that are older than 15 days.

Once that is done you can then check the tape in as scratch.

-Chris

thanks Chris.....

I will do the same and let u know the result...
thanks alot for the reply

DB Backups won't expire on their own, you need to have something like this command running during your housekeeping:

del volh t=dbb tod=-15

That removes the reference to any tapes marked as being 'dbb' (Database Backup) that are older than 15 days.

Once that is done you can then check the tape in as scratch.

-Chris

Just another point - if you're using DRM and moving dbb's offsite then don't run the del volhist. DRM will handle this for you.

-Chris

Need one more help..

Just another point - if you're using DRM and moving dbb's offsite then don't run the del volhist. DRM will handle this for you.

-Chris

Dear Chris,
I have executed the command u suggested "del Volhist" , TSM have deleted 2 volumes from the volhist. But am unable to understand which volumes have been deleted. Please let me know how to trace the deleted volumes..
If they are deleted from the Volhist , will they still stay inside the library ?? If yes how should i checkout them.... please let me know..

Many thanks for the help in advance.....

I don't believe you can find what volumes were deleted by that command - it doesn't log the volume name anywhere. You'll need to manually audit what tapes you have outside of the library and compare that to a 'q vol' listing from your TSM server. Tapes that don't appear in the 'q vol' are either DB Backups or scratch tapes.

Then for each unknown volume run:

select * from volhistory where volume_name='<volumename>'

That will list out the history for that tape. Tapes which are still valid DB Backups will have TYPE of BACKUPFULL, BACKUPINCR or DBSNAPSHOT. Tapes which are now scratch will have the last entry as STGDELETE or won't appear at all (they may not appear because you've deleted them with a del volhist).

The volhistory is TSM's record of tapes, and what they've been used for. If a tape isn't in the history file, then TSM knows that it's scratch, and likewise if it is in the file - TSM knows not to overwrite it. Removing tapes from the volhist has no effect on where they physically are. TSM doesn't check them out automatically.

If the deleted tapes were inside the library when you deleted them, they will become scratch and can be left there - other processes will use them as needed (for db backups or other operations). A 'q libv' will show you what's in the library, and what tapes are scratch.

If they're outside the library, simply check them in as scratch like you attempted to do before.

Hope this helps...

-Chris

thanks Chris...

I don't believe you can find what volumes were deleted by that command - it doesn't log the volume name anywhere. You'll need to manually audit what tapes you have outside of the library and compare that to a 'q vol' listing from your TSM server. Tapes that don't appear in the 'q vol' are either DB Backups or scratch tapes.

Then for each unknown volume run:

select * from volhistory where volume_name='<volumename>'

That will list out the history for that tape. Tapes which are still valid DB Backups will have TYPE of BACKUPFULL, BACKUPINCR or DBSNAPSHOT. Tapes which are now scratch will have the last entry as STGDELETE or won't appear at all (they may not appear because you've deleted them with a del volhist).

The volhistory is TSM's record of tapes, and what they've been used for. If a tape isn't in the history file, then TSM knows that it's scratch, and likewise if it is in the file - TSM knows not to overwrite it. Removing tapes from the volhist has no effect on where they physically are. TSM doesn't check them out automatically.

If the deleted tapes were inside the library when you deleted them, they will become scratch and can be left there - other processes will use them as needed (for db backups or other operations). A 'q libv' will show you what's in the library, and what tapes are scratch.

If they're outside the library, simply check them in as scratch like you attempted to do before.

Hope this helps...

-Chris

I will do this and let u know the status.... Really u helped me alot

thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
I will do this and let u know the status.... Really u helped me alot

thanks again

I actually have the same problem.
I try to delete the entry from volhistory table with no luck.

tsm: ADMINSERV>del volh t=DBS tod=-30
Session established with server ADMINSERV: AIX-RS/6000
Server Version 5, Release 3, Level 2.2
Server date/time: 12/01/09 11:16:41 Last access: 12/01/09 10:36:55

Do you wish to proceed? (Yes (Y)/No (N)) y
ANR2467I DELETE VOLHISTORY: 0 sequential volume history entries were successfully deleted.

tsm: ADMINSERV>select * from volhistory where volume_name='D00037'

DATE_TIME: 2006-05-28 08:15:25.000000
UNIQUE: 0
TYPE: DBSNAPSHOT
BACKUP_SERIES: 52
BACKUP_OPERATION: 0
VOLUME_SEQ: 1
DEVCLASS: LTOCLASS
VOLUME_NAME: D00037

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Denny

Use "FORCE=YES" in your DEL VOLH command

Use "FORCE=YES" in your DEL VOLH command

thanks for the help, Greg. I am able to delete this entry now.
Is this a secret option?
From help menu, i do not see this force option.

Denny

Try to type following command from TSM Command line.
Help Delete volumehistory
It will list the all the possible scenrio.

Try this if you are using DRM

SET DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS XX

XX is number of days you want to keep database tapes

Denny check how many db backups you have in your volhistory. You may have just deleted your last db backup which is bad unless this is just a test server.

Back