TSMVE 6.4 Incremental Forever and Exchange 2010

GeraldAnderson

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi all,

We have a VM environment being protected with TSM for VE 6.4. (VM name TSMVE-01)
Among the many machines is a MS Exchange 2010 server (VM name MAIL-01). We would like to use the application-aware settings within TSMVE to take the backups for us instead of relying on a TDP agent within the VM.
TSM for VE has been installed in its own VM and actually runs quite well :).

We've modified the dsm.opt file for the VE instance and set the password accordingly; however running the backup job from the vCenter console (VM name VCENTER-01) generates an error, ANS9398E, but help for that message is a little sparse right now.

I've dropped back to the BA CLI on the TSMVE-01 VM and run some commands there to try and diagnose whats happening.
q vm mail-01 -detail shows the following:
Application protection type: VMware

I expected this to say "Exchange" or something similar.

I can run a backup of the VM with "backup vm mail-01 -mode=iffull" but again it gives me:
application protection type: 'VMware' application(s) protected: 'n/a'

If i check the event logs on the MAIL-01 server i can see the backups are working but logs aren't being truncated. The backups are listed as 'Copy or Differential'.

So after banging my head on a wall for a few hours i'm suspecting that application aware backups aren't supported with the incremental forever method. Page 70 of the following document leads me think this as Incremental Forever isn't specifically mentioned (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27036685&aid=3).

Has anyone else managed to get this working / advise if my thinking is correct or not?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

Back