TSM Windows TCPClientAddress paramter

mantsm

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello Techies,

I have a windows client with 2 NIC card.One NIC card dedicated for TSM backup.In TSM client dsm.opt file i added the TCPCLIENTADDRESS Parameter to reflect the IP of the dedicated NIC.

When i try a backup i don't see any utilization on the Dedicated TSM NIC card,and all the backup flows through the other non-dedicated NIC card.
In TSM when i do q node <nodename> f=d -->it shows the ip of the non dedicated NIC,but when i do a q opt from the client dsmc prompt it displays the ip of TSM dedicated NIC card.

I had requested the Windows System Admin to disable the 1500 Port on the non dedicated NIC.

Could you please let me know if there is something which i missed out.

Thanks in Advance,
<MANTSM>

First question to answer: Is the TSM server ONLY listening to your dedicated NIC AND IS on a dedicated LAN segment? Second, have you restarted any TSM service/s as appropriate?

Are you using DNS to resolve your TSM server name/IP address? If you are, the TSM Server DNS entry for the dedicated (private) LAN segment must be different for the Public LAN segment.

Thanks for the response.Both the NIC cards are using the same range.As said by you I had requested the N/W admin to create a separate IP range dedicated for Backup.

hi all,
i have 1 question regarding adressing tcpip,
will backup performing increase if i dedicate private LAN between client and TSM server?
btw my environment did not have lanfree..

thanks,
zack

Hi
I order to force your backup down the dedicated NIC you should setup a separate VLAN with a new IP address range, do not add gateway settings to the NIC and this should work. Also have a look at the frame size as you may be able to increase this and then increase throughput.

This may increase your backup performance if your prod network is busy at backup time, also the backup network needs to be run on decent switches, I have see backup networks reduce performance because the network infra used was poor.

Often backup networks are deployed to prevent backup traffic impacting production.

My 2 cents.

On your client setup a route to you TSM server using your dedicated NIC.
Update the node in the TSM server to reflect the IP adress to use.
TCPCLIENTADDRESS is only a hint, it tells the server what ip it should use to talk to the client.
/good luck

Back