TSM vStorage Backup Server as an appliance

rowl

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I was talking with some folks from Tivoli recently about the possibility of the vStorage Backup Server being provided as a pre-created deployable virtual machine. There has been some customer interest in this, and an RFE has been defined for this request. If this is something you would like to see please see request "TSM for Virtual Environments VBS (Proxy/Datamover) Virtual Appliance" http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=56584 and vote your support.

I am in the process of testing a couple different products for VM backups. One provides a proxy server that I can give to my VM admin to deploy. This is very quick and easy. When I started working with TSM and found that I had to build my own from scratch I was a bit disappointed. Not that it is tremendously hard to setup, but the internal bureaucracy or requesting a Windows or Linux VM can add weeks to a process that should take minutes. Long term I imagine patching and maintaining an "appliance" provided by Tivoli would be preferable to maintaining an OS and multiple Tivoli software packages individually.

Thanks,
-Rowl

Back