TSM upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit

pegasus

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new tsmer, very soon we are planning to upgrade from TSM32-bit to Tsm 64-bit

How should I do this. Specifically using the Database upgrade (upgradedb)

We currently have TSM 5.1.6.2 server (32bit)

Aix 4.3.3 (32bit) we will be upgrading to AIX 5.1 soon

the hardware is RS6000

Is there a procedure for this in a book? What should I know? I believe we should upgrade

from Aix 4.3.3 to Aix 5.1 first then go from TSM 32Bit to 64bit but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

:) :)

hi!

I would to as the following!

1. Upgrade to AIX 5.1

2. Upgrade TSM

Disable all client sessions and emty all disk storage pools to tape if exists!

2.1. Backup db

2.2. Backup devconfig

2.3. backup volhist

2.4. Save dsmserv.opt + dsmserv.dsk + device configuration

2.5. Save TSm-Config: show config + q system + q lic

2.6. Save aix device config: Lsdev -Cc tape + LsDev -Cc library + Lsdev -Cc scsi (f. e.)

shutdown tsm

2.7. Smitty install_update

2. 8 update environment variables

2.9. check

3. TSM Restart

In this way i made a update from 4.2.1 to .5.1.7.0! For all we needed 2 hours ibclusive the backup of our 50 GB TSM-DB!

Greets Lindgreen

Hello

other than the steps listed, were there any other special steps needed before you upgraded to 64-bit? Also, what are some of the advantages to switching from 32 to 64-bit? Management wants all the info on going from 5.1.5 to 5.1.6 64-bit but there isn't much help on the official IBM/TSM site.

Thanks!

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>hi!

I would to as the following!

1. Upgrade to AIX 5.1

2. Upgrade TSM

Disable all client sessions and emty all disk storage pools to tape if exists!

2.1. Backup db

2.2. Backup devconfig

2.3. backup volhist

2.4. Save dsmserv.opt + dsmserv.dsk + device configuration

2.5. Save TSm-Config: show config + q system + q lic

2.6. Save aix device config: Lsdev -Cc tape + LsDev -Cc library + Lsdev -Cc scsi (f. e.)

shutdown tsm

2.7. Smitty install_update

2. 8 update environment variables

2.9. check

3. TSM Restart

In this way i made a update from 4.2.1 to .5.1.7.0! For all we needed 2 hours ibclusive the backup of our 50 GB TSM-DB!

Greets Lindgreen

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE> :)

I'm assuming that you know that you will need to run the 64 bit version of AIX. Which may cause you some problem with devices (like some older ssa cards that are only supported on 32 bit kernel). Here's a hint: (run this after upgrading to AIX

# bootinfo -K

32 (32 bit mode aix)

#ln -sf /usr/lib/boot/unix_64 /unix

#ln -sf /usr/lib/boot/unix_64 /usr/lib/boot/unix

#bosboot -ad /dev/hdiskxx

#shutdown -r

# bootinfo -K

From my own experience, we were running AIX 5.2 but found it tool unstable (memory leak/paging space) so I busted theAIX server down to 5.1 (with latest patches). The TSM server was running 32 mode but on the AIX 5.1 install (which I did as a new install), I only installed the 64bit kernel. So, now the TSM server only runs in 64bit mode. Pretty much, the TSM server came right up after making all the Database and recover log and storage pool volumes (as well as the dsmserv.dsk and dsmserv.opt files available). The above steps would only apply if you installed both the 32 and 64 kernels (bos). Likely the upgrade will keep the 32bit kernel until you

1. install (if it doesn't automaticaly all the 64bit stuff)

2. do the linking steps above

Now, I haven't actually done the linking steps above but once, I tried finding the smitty screen with no success on switching the kernel to 64 bit mode on a 32bit machine. The linking should work since this is how the old style/linux system do it. And AIX 5 is very linux like.... good luck and may the swartz be with you ;)

Back