tsm services after a reboot of the client

cisse

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Some of our servers are rebooted every night. After such a reboot the tsm client acceptor service never comes started again, so the planned backups are always missed. we have a workaroud for this by using a vb-script but i want to know the root-cause of the problem.
we only have this on windows clients and not on other platforms. (win 2003)
any idea? thanks

Some of our servers are rebooted every night. After such a reboot the tsm client acceptor service never comes started again, so the planned backups are always missed. we have a workaroud for this by using a vb-script but i want to know the root-cause of the problem.
we only have this on windows clients and not on other platforms. (win 2003)
any idea? thanks

This may sound obvious but I gotta check. It's set in Windows services to start "Automatic" right? If it was just one server that's one thing, but you give the impression that this is happening with all servers that are on the nightly reboot so I have to ask.

Take a look in the dsmerror.log file in the baclient folder...there may be some hint there.

A possible (though unlikely scenario might be):
In you DSM.OPT file...what does the "managedservices" line say?

If it says "webclient scheduler"...than a problem might be that windows services called TSM Client acceptor and the TSM client scheduler are both set to automatic for startup. If this is the case they may be getting in each others way.

It looks like that you use the Webclient scheduler services for TSM scheduling.

Have you tried using the TSM scheduler service instead? As Zatogo said, this might be a simple issue of a service conflict. I never use the webclient scheduler.

? The line "managedservices webclient scheduler" doesn't mean to use a "webclient scheduler" (there is no such thing) - it tells the CAD to manage both the webclient GUI, and the tsm client scheduler (2 separate things). If you manually (or automatically) try to start the client scheduler when managedservices includes "scheduler" the scheduler will simply exit, it wouldn't cause a problem.

Check your dsmsched.log file for what messages the dsmcad says when it starts after your reboot. And as zatago said, check the dsmcad is set to automatic in your windows services.

ok, i'll do some checkings but dsmcad is for sure in the automatic status.

no special messages in de logfiles ....

this is the dsm.opt file :
* NODENAME SEHAP003
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
TCPSERVERADDRESS S01TSM01.AXA.BE
COMPRESSION YES
QUIET
QUERYSCHEDPERIOD 1
SCHEDLOGNAME M:\ADM\LOGS\DSMSCHED.LOG
SCHEDLOGRETENTION 7 D
ERRORLOGNAME M:\ADM\LOGS\DSMERROR.LOG
ERRORLOGRETENTION 7 D
MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT SCHEDULE
WEBPORTS 4500 4501

domain "M:"

EXCLUDE "*:\...\*"
INCLUDE "M:\FILE_PERSO\...\*" AXAV5K40D60

no special messages in de logfiles ....

No, *what* was in the dsmsched.log file?? Did it show the cad starting, and the scheduler connecting to the tsm server 1 minute later at the time the system rebooted?

Post the output.

MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT SCHEDULE

Based on this line entry - Check the properties of your Client Acceptor Daemon - it should be set to Automatic while your TSM Scheduler Service is set to Manual.

Now if you want your Scheduler Service to run all the time - remove the "schedule" from the line entry - and disable the client acceptor daemon or remove it.

Choices we make eh? If Ive repeated any answer listed above, I apologize
Also simply "restarting" doesnt work all the time in my experiences as well. Ive had to stop then start accordingly.

Hope this helps

No, *what* was in the dsmsched.log file?? Did it show the cad starting, and the scheduler connecting to the tsm server 1 minute later at the time the system rebooted?

no every 60 minutes tsm looks for a schedule, the latest is at 3h27 and the next normally at 4h37, the reboot takes place at 04h and no new looking for tsm schedules until the tsm client acceptor is started by one of us.
This service is defined as automatic.

Back