TSM Monitoring using HP ITO /OVO

gerwynw

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I would be grateful if somebody could give me any information regarding monitoring TSM using HP Openview ITO - I'm looking for a template for ITO or any other information related to this subject.

Thanks.

Gerwyn. :confused:

Hi,

What specifically do you want to monitor?

Since TSM logs to Windows Eventlog (or syslog), it is no need for any product specific module. You only need to create message records/actions for any group or indivdual TSM event. The message processing will determine what action OV (or CA-Unicenter EM/TEC for that matter) will take on formatting color and/or actions to be taken.

If you also want a graphical topological view (e.g NNM) of your TSM enterprise, you only need to integrate TSM event messages, so that their status will correctly be represented colorwise (Red/Error/Critical, Yellow/Warning, etc).

Since HP and CA (also not IBM to my knowledge) do not have an agent that can monitor the TSM db, it is difficult to get a nodeview/tree view of db status. Therefore one must gather all information TSM is able to deliver externally: Eventlog, log files, etc. That said: TSM does not deliver ANYTHING to Windows perfmon! This means you are unable to monitor any performance trends through Windows APIs!

Since Tivoli is listed as a HP integrations partner (www.hp.com/servers/integration), there should be an OVO Smart Plug-in (SPI) available (internal and unsupported, perhaps) - you should contact HP/Tivoli for verification . If TSM db was in MSSQL, Sybase, Oracle or Informix, many agents would be available to monitor the TSM db - alas - it does not seem the db will be ported to any industry standard dbms very soon !

It seems you are left with SDKs to develop your own interface..

Regards

[email protected]

If you have Tivoli TEC...TSM plugs in directly :grin:

Why not just enable the event you would like to monitor for and send it via SNMP to the HP OpenView server? (help enable events)

-Aaron

Morten,

I really appreciate your thorough and detailed reply. Thank you for taking the time to do this. I will process the events written to the Windows Event Log as a start and then hopefully improve the monitoring from there onwards.

I am now identifying the events to be captured. Please feel free to provide any further information, your assitance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Gerwyn.

Back