TSM for Virtual Environments, or something else?

rowl

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I finally have time to start looking into solutions for backing up our virtual environmnet. There are two products on the floor today that both offier solutions that leverage the vStorageAPI for changed block tracking backups. These are TSM and Avamar. Now I am looking for a solution to backup on the order of 10,000 virtual machines (VMWare), and provide file level recovery without having to install an agent in every guest. I am sure many of you have looked at these solutions and probably others as well. I see purpose built products from Veeam, Zerto, and phdVirtual and others make impressive claims about their features/functionality and they look interesting.

As the TSM file level restore has been explained to me, I don't think I like what I hear. Mount a snapshot to a proxy node and copy files over to original guest machine? That sounds kind of clunky, and introduces a layer of complexity that will be hard to operationalize.

So I am curious how others have approached this, and what solution they found that works best for a large environment.

Thanks,
-Rowl

Back