TSM - Debian Client available on this website

Harry_Redl

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Hi all,

as we use mostly Debian Linux at our site we created a .deb package to make things easier for us.

Thanx to courtesy of adsm.org administrators I was allowed to publish it here

http://adsm.org/files/TSM/Clients/Linux/Debian/

some info:

1) NOT AN OFFICIAL IBM PACKAGE - so use at your own risk

2) API and BA client in one package

3) 5.3.4.0 will be there soon (already sent - waiting to be added to the folder)

4) as we use CLI only, I have not tested other things ... but they should work :)

Do not hesitate to contact me with comments at [email protected]

Hope it helps

Harry

Hi Harry

I?ve just used one of your debs to install TSM Client 5.3.4 on Ubuntu 6.06 and it seems to work nicely. Thanks for your work.

Only problem with Ubuntu is that I have to force the install due to a dependency on some old packages (glibc). Would you consider updating/creating new debs for Ubuntu?

--jobi

Hi,

strange - two requests for an Ubuntu 6.06 TSM client in one day ... will have to look at that :) Give me a few days. Surely will try to fix the problem and create an updated package.

Harry

Hi,

TSM client v. 5.3.4.3 tested under Debian Woody, Debian Sarge and Ubuntu 6.06 is ready in local download section

Opinions and comments welcomed

Hope it helps (to someone)

Harry

P.S. thanks to local admin

What does you debian package offer besides an alien deb? I never had any problem converting the standard rpms and just installed them. Is there a snag I might run into? I'll admit I never really tested - I just run them.

Cheers,

PJ

Hi,

well - almost nothing :) - I have just extracted the rpms and packed both API and BA packages into one. I have modified the postinst scripts to tell the user what is happening, defining base sample dsm.sys and dsm.opt, update ld.so.conf and env. variables ... etc.

All can be found in the .deb file itself

If alien converter works for you, no need to change - I have added no "special" features

When I tried to use alien package converter (well - was two years ago on Woody, so many things could change since then) I have encountered some problems with dependencies etc. - so I have created my version (was originally for our internal usage only as our site is now >99% Debian based)

Idea for this is to provide a .deb package for users who do not want to install rpm's on their machines, do not know how to create their own .deb or just want to download and run :)

Catch you can run into ....

it was all about dependencies - nothing more

Hope it brings some light

Harry

Harry,
You don't happen to have the new 5.5.1 client in a debian package done yet do you? Specifically for Intrepid.

Hi,

there should be a HOWTO in the download section but I am not sure if it is accessible right now - drop me an email and I can send it to you
[email protected]

Harry

Back