TSM DB, Log & Stg pool migration in windows

newtotivoli

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi TSM Guru's,

Can anyone suggest me the best way to migrate TSM DB,LOG & Diskpool from one windows to another machine.

I am thinking to do this.

copy tsm db,log and diskpool vol to new server
install tsm server on new machine with new db, log and disk pool location
copy dsmserv.opt,devconfig and volhist to new server
Issue dsmserv restore db ondbdirs="db volumes list" and actlog="actlog path"
Bring up the tsm server and define old disk pool volumes as volumes to the new disk pool.

Does it sound correct? Am I am on the right path here? Please help.

Thanks.

I'd basically follow the DR recovery procedures here:

Starting at Step 9: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tsminfo/v7r1/topic/com.ibm.itsm.srv.doc/t_scen_srv_recover.html

So...
* Stop everything that you can on original server so that no processes are happening on the server while the backupdb is running.
* Take a FULL BACKUP DB/VOLHIST/DEVCONFIG. Sending the backup to a file devclass might be the easiest.
* Stop original TSM server.
* Get the backup DB volume(s), volhist, devconfig to the new server.
* Complete steps in step 9 of DR procedure on new server to configure TSM and get the DB restored.
* Copy, rsync, etc all of the storage pool storage (disk/file pools) to the SAME path location on the new server. Don't forget to validate permissions and such.
* Start up TSM and have a cold drink while verifying everything works. If something doesn't work, fall back to the original server.

You could also "swing" the storage over to the new server instead of copying it, but if you do that, I suggest the data is backed up to a copy storage pool on tape first, just in case something goes wrong.

Back