TSM DB care? Is there only the "expire inventory" ?

AFreitag

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi, my TSM DB is going to fill. I run every day the "expire inventory". What kind of operations can I do to care the TSM DB?

Thanks for your effort!

Andreas

If it is fragmented you can unload and reload it. If it is naturally growing due to the fact your environment is growing, then you need to extend the database or revist your backup policies.

Is it growing rapidly? Are you doing a lot of archives? Is your expire invetory completing successfully? How big is your DB? How many files have you backed up? There are a number of questions to ask yourself in regards to ensuring your DB is "healthy"

The TSM DB is not really easily maintained to peak performance. It just was never meant for the sizes it can now support. If it's growing too large split it into two instances. Optimal size is between 60-80GB per TSM instance (in a perfect world). If you have a highly fragmented DB its easier in many cases to start from scratch than to try and defrag the DB.

Is it growing rapidly? ... No!
Are you doing a lot of archives? ... 20 Server are doing archives (2 TB of archive data)
Is your expire invetory completing successfully? ... Yes!
How big is your DB? ... 35 GB
How many files have you backed up? ... 45'058'917 Files (20 TB)

TSM ver. 5.3

Commad ESTIMATE DBREORGSTATS

Barbara

ESTIMATE DBREORGSTATS really seriously down your system for some hours, so you should run it then there is not much going on. But it is the only way to get an exact result.

a very crude guess of fragmentation can be obtained with this command:
Code:
SELECT CAST((100 - (CAST(MAX_REDUCTION_MB AS FLOAT) * 256 ) / (CAST(USABLE_PAGES AS FLOAT) - CAST(USED_PAGES AS FLOAT) ) * 100) AS DECIMAL(4,2)) AS PERCENT_FRAG FROM DB

Back