TSM Client Upgrades (Windows)

BC@SHS

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
server (5.3.4) and clients (5.1.7-5.3.4) all windows

Currently, when i install tsm client, i install the client taking defaults, then go in gui and change configurations, then install options depending on what's needed (web client and client scheduler, journal, open file support, etc) from setup wizards. When i want to do an uninstall i do the reverse, go in gui, uninstall the web client and client scheduler, etc, and then go in add/remove programs and remove client. try to keep things as clean as possible

Now, i am at the point where i have many nodes that are 5.3.0.15 and 5.3.2 that i wish to upgrade to 5.3.4

Is this all necessary or can i just uninstall and reinstall the tsm client from add/remove programs and then load the latest client?

Also, does anyone use SMS to send out packages that uninstall and reinstall the latest client? or does everyone do it manually?

Thanks!

BC

Hello BC -

Just install the 5.3.4 client over the older version.

It knows enough to upgrade and keep your schedulers / dsm.opt / journal info in tact.

Once you install the new version, just open the GUI and check the splash screen or "About --> TSM" to see that it is now 5.3.4.

We don't use SMS...sorry, can't help with that.

Cheers -

-Chef.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Also, does anyone use SMS to send out packages that uninstall and reinstall the latest client? or does everyone do it manually?</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

BC,

maybe the information given in this thread will help you...

MSI options

I use the MSI command line options within an SMS package. IMHO installing the TSM Client is some kind of a 'critical procedure' so I never proceed unattended installations of my SMS package - but having a package makes things easier. We do not uninstall older versions by this package but it would be possible, I guess.

Our quite old version of SMS Installer (v2.0.91.09) had some problems with storing such long command lines in variables. I had to do a workaround by creating an ini file (in fact it was a batch file) to get all necessary parameters for my custom installation of the TSM Client and call that ini (batch) file from my SMS package. Maybe you will encounter similar problems...

Hope it helps,

Jens

Back