TSM client upgrade from 5.2 to 5.3

balu

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need to upgrade my TSM server from 5.2 to 5.3 in which the client is also installed with version 5.2.Now i need to upgrade the client first and then proceed with the server upgradation.My doubt is,
1)do we need to delete the current client version?
2)can we directly upgrade the client to 5.3.4.0 instead of going for the base level?

If the current client version need to deleted means,pls provide me the procedure for doing it.

Thanks
Balu:)

You dont "need" to upgrade the client before the server. 5.3 servers support 5.2 clients. But it's recommended that you do upgrade clients soon as 5.2 is no longer supported. But it still works.

On the server side, take a full BU of the DB.
Then remove the old packages, including the license package, and install the 5.3.x base package & license package. Bring up the server to convert the DB to 5.3. Then apply the maintenance release...then the patch release to the current rev level in that order. OS dependent, you may have to re-remove the base to install the maint. release. Likewise with the patch release. The license package remains in place.

but again, the Base package must always be installed first in order to install the license, and up-rev the DB.

Its actually a very seemless process and takes very little time.

Thanks for the info...

I have listed the client filesets installed in the server below,

tivoli.tsm.client.api.64bit
tivoli.tsm.client.ba.64bit.base
tivoli.tsm.client.ba.64bit.common
tivoli.tsm.client.ba.64bit.image
tivoli.tsm.client.ba.64bit.nas
tivoli.tsm.client.ba.64bit.web
-Do i need to remove all these filesets and then install the base version of 5.3?
-I have upgraded the server to 5.3.need to keep the copy of the license for this client installed in the server?

Pls help me, as i am new to this field....:confused:thanks......

So far I've just updated the clients (AIX and WIN), but just installing over them, and have had no issues from upgrading from 5.2.x and 5.3.0 to 5.3.4 versions.

Have you been able to upgrade the windows client via command line? I can only seem to find the options to uninstall and install. I would like to find the correct switches for upgrade. Thanks.

The readme that accompanies the install package has information on a silent install. I have used this as a guide to create a script. The process for an upgrade is the same. Be aware stopping all currently installed TSM services before running the install will in most cases prevent a restart (unless you are installing the OFS or IMAGE components.
Here is the steps I used (Windows):
Placed the packaged client on a network share and extracted it.
Stopped the TSM Scheduler service
Stopped the TSM Client Acceptor
Stopped the TSM Remote Client Agent
Uninstalled the services listed above using the dsmcutil utility
Mapped a drive to the network share where the extracted files are located
Performed the upgrade using the MSIEXEC.EXE command as listed in the readme, after removing the option to install the OFS and IMAGE support
Reinstalled Installed the TSM Scheduler Service
Disconnected the mapped drive

It's a pretty simple process... the MSI package will identify that a preveious version is already installed and perform the upgrade, alternatively you could use the msiexec /x switch to perform a uninstall, but it is then recommended that you perform a restart before installing the new client.

Hope that helps answer your question.

My bad... the topic is not covered in the readme but is in the BA Client PDF. Here is that portion:
Silent installation
Note: Beginning with Tivoli Storage Manager Version 4.1, the response file SETUP.ISS is no longer installed.
The Tivoli Storage Backup-Archive Client installation program supports silent, unattended installations. By placing a customized version of the msiexec command (which invokes the Microsoft Software Installer) in a script or batch file, you can easily perform installations on multiple Windows machines. The following is a sample command to install the backup-archive command line client, GUI client, Web client, API, Administrative command line client, and HTML help files. You may need to customize this example to run correctly on your system. Note that while the command is physically spread across multiple lines on this page, it is one single command. Also note that this example should be modified when installing a Tivoli Storage Manager Backup-Archive Client Language Pack.
msiexec /i "Z:\tsm_images\TSM_BA_Client\IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Client.msi" RebootYesNo="No" REBOOT="Suppress" ALLUSERS=1 INSTALLDIR="d:\program files\tivoli\ tsm" ADDLOCAL="BackupArchiveGUI,BackupArchiveWeb,ApiRuntime,AdministrativeCmd,Image, OFS,Readmes" TRANSFORMS=1033.mst /qn /l*v "c:\log.txt"
The command and its parameters are as follows:
msiexec Invokes the Microsoft Software Installer (MSI) program.
/i Installs the specified source package (replace with /x to uninstall the package). ″Z:\tsm_images\TSM_BA_Client\IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Client.msi″ This is the complete path to the source package. Z: is the CD-ROM or network drive containing the installation image. You will need to substitute the appropriate drive letter for your system.
RebootYesNo=″No″ REBOOT=″Suppress″ Under certain conditions, a system reboot might be necessary for the installation to complete successfully. This option causes the installation program to not reboot the system if circumstances would otherwise cause the reboot to occur. While this option is convenient, it should be used with caution because suppressing the reboot might cause the program to behave in an unpredictable manner. The most common reason that a reboot would be required is if the installation was an upgrade to an existing Tivoli Storage Manager client, and the installation was performed while the client programs were running. Therefore, we recommend that you shut down all Tivoli Storage Manager client programs and services before performing the installation.
ALLUSERS=1 Specifies that the package is for all users. This option is required. INSTALLDIR=″d:\program files\tivoli\tsm″ Specifies the destination path. If you have already installed this product or a previous version of this product on your workstation, you should use the current installation directory as the destination path for this package. ADDLOCAL=″BackupArchiveGUI,BackupArchiveWeb,ApiRuntime, AdministrativeCmd,Image,OFS,Readmes″ Specifies the features to install. Specify all the components on a single line within quotes, separated by commas, with no spaces before or after the commas.
TRANSFORMS=1033.mst Specifies which language transform to use. The following language transforms are available:
1028.mst CHT Traditional Chinese
1029.mst CSY Czech
1031.mst DEU German
1033.mst ENG English
1034.mst ESP Spanish
1036.mst FRA French
1038.mst HUN Hungarian
1040.mst ITA Italian
1041.mst JPN Japanese
1042.mst KOR Korean
1045.mst PLK Polish
1046.mst PTB Portuguese
1049.mst RUS Russian
2052.mst CHS Simplified Chinese
/qn Specifies to perform the installation silently.
/l*v ″c:\log.txt″ Specifies verbose logging and the name and location of the log file.

The installation process creates a Tivoli Storage Manager folder in the programs folder of the Windows Start menu. You can start Tivoli Storage Manager by clicking one of the icons in this folder.
You can also install a predefined (custom) dsm.opt file, using the following instructions.
Users who would like to install a predefined dsm.opt file should place a copy of the dsm.opt file in the ...\CONFIG directory located within the install image, for example: tsm_images\TSM_BA_Client\baclient\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\config
The file must be named dsm.opt
The install program will copy the predefined dsm.opt file to the ..\BACLIENT directory when BOTH of the following conditions are met:
dsm.opt does NOT exist in the ..\BACLIENT directory. The install program will not copy over an existing dsm.opt file.
dsm.opt exists in the install image’s ..\CONFIG directory, as described above.

Last edited:
Back