TSM Client on windows server 2008 - R2 - 64 Bits

ramohi

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

Can you please let me know which client I should install on Windows Server 2008 - R2 - 64 Bits, Our tsm server is 5.4.3.1.
I don't see 2008 - R2 - 64bits under operating system requirements in tsm client 5.4.x on the IBM download site, I do see 2008 uder tsm server ver 5.5 and up.

Please do let me know.

Many Thanks
Ram

If it's 2008 R2 you need to install 6.1.x ...there was supposed to be a 5.5 client out this summer that supported it, but I haven't checked to see if it was released yet.

- Upgrade to the highest available version that your server supports. There are multiple vulnerabilities on lower level clients. I've seen a recent advisory that has anything listed below 6.1.0.0 to have security issues. From what I can remember in my fuzzy mind, but Secunia is always a good place to start.

http://secunia.com/advisories/search/?search=TSM+client

His server is 5.4 therefore 5.5.3 is the latest and greatest code for him.

I have been shying away from 6.x clients as every new one seems to be release with additional bugs. Unless you are trying to do client side dedupe I don't really see the urgency for 6.x anything. We'll be hanging around on 5.5 server and 5.5 client code for at least another 6 months.

I hear you about 6.x. I've gone through all sorts of issues with 6.x (esecpially 6.1.3.2) but 6.1.3.3 seems to be somewhat stable.

Have about 200 of 450 nodes WinNT nodes running 6.1.3.3 and there is very little babysitting to be done. I've stopped updating some of them since 5.5 seems to be solid.

Prior to 6.1.3.3, 6.X has SYSTEMSTATE issues, and sucks memory if you use just the scheduler.

My biggest complaint is the newly produced enumeration errors. Most of them are legit though so I suppose its a good thing. We've been cleaning the missing file and registry entries when we can. We have had to generate some zero byte files for 32 bit apps that are running on 64 bit operating systems. Other than that 5.5.3 has been excellent.

With the missing files, is that the file not found errors that I see in lower client levels?

I used to see all sorts of file not found stuff in clients lower than 6.1.3.2.

6.1.3.2 did an excellent job in clearing that up, while 6.1.3.3 expanded on it.

I wish we could run 5.5.3 on some clients but due to security compliance, we have no choice but to jump to 6.1. Thankfully, 6.1.3.3 is fairly solid.

Back