TSM Client on W2K or Win 2003 with GigE NIC

cgrone

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
This is a resolved problem but I thought I might see if anyone else was having this issue or it is just something in our environment.

Our TSM server is AIX 5.2 with TSM 5.3.1.2 I installed the latest TSM client 5.3.0.14 on a brand new Windows 2003 server but kept getting TCP/IP communications errors. On the TSM server, the session showed up, but no client node name appeared for the session. It was kind of "ghost" session. The network trace from the client side showed a checksum error. The NIC in the client is an Intel Pro 1000.

Here's the resolution:

The setting that resolved it was turning "Offload Transmit TCP Checksum" to OFF. Here's how: On the client go to Network Connections, right click the active NIC, go to Properties, then Configure, then Advanced, click the setting Offload Transmit TCP Checksum, change the value to Off. Again, this particular problematic NIC is an Intel Pro/1000 XT with driver 6/22/2004 8.0.57.0 and the server is a Windows 2003 Server (Standard Edition). It seems odd that a single setting would cause TSM not to be able to communicate, but it did.

Anyone else have this problem or do we just not know how to properly set up our GigE nics?

Back