TSM Client 6.2 running in a userprofile

interface

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We are running Altiris for deploying packages on Windows XP machines. I've created a silent installation package for TSM 6.2 and this package will be deployed with a Administrator account.

The problem is when I log off and log on as a User the backup won't run properly. TSM won't allow me to create a ASR point and when I start the BackUp GUI I get a "Access Denied" error. Does anyone know this problem and can help me ?

Thanks in advance !

Admin right will be needed for using GUI. May be you can schedule a backup and log off the server

Ok, but I don't want to schedule a task. The client will be installed on laptops and the user can decide when to backup aand ( if they want ) when to restore. So... Is there a way to install the package so the Command Line and the GUI will be run as an Administrator ?

Hello. I've got exactly the same issue. Everything was working fine under Windows XP but now that we are planning to migrate to Windows 7 we've discovered that with this OS it's not anymore possible to have Users launching themselves the backup and even restoration of their own PCs if they are not admins. Why ?!

So, if some finds a solution I'm very interested too.

Nice try, but being member of the Backup Operators Group is not enough in my case...

Indeed, I'm still asked to enter local admin login and password, when I try to launch the DSM.EXE being loggued with a user (+ backup operator) account.

But there is a small difference : When Windows 7 asked me to enter an admin login and password, it proposes me by default my "user + backup" account, and if I type the password of this account, it starts to launch DSM... but then it crashs with the usual ANS5179E error that happens unless DSM.exe is launched with a real admin account.

Please let Interface and me know if you've got any other idea.

I've found this tip : "If you have already been using the Tivoli® Storage Manager Backup-Archive client with an Administrators group account you might not be able to launch the client because you cannot open the log files (for example dsmerror.log). To alleviate this problem, you can grant the Backup Operators group Read and Write permissions to the log files or the directories containing these log files."

And, indeed, that was why, even with a normal account member of the Backup Operators, I was still having issues.
After having granted full control on the Tivoli directory to the Backup Operators group, everything works more or less (strangely the User is requested to type his password each time he launchs dsm.exe... the same password he already used to log onto Windows 7 so it would be better if that was not necessary) as expected.

Hi,

We're are running Windows XP, not Vista or W7. So I have to try some other stuff...

Back