TSM backup/restore VMware image via lanfree

ch_wira

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scsi.co.th
Hi,
I’m very confused about TSM and VMware restoration via lanfree. As I researched, I found that there is two main functionally of TSM and VMware backup/restore. The first one is using TSM B/A client that integrated “vmware backup tools”. And the second is TSM for VE.

Feature:
=======
1. TSM B/A : Full Backup/Restore VMware Image
2. TSM for VE: Incremental Backup and Restore by file level

My question is
===========
Can TSM B/A perform restore VMware image via lanfree?
(Backup proxy can retrieve data directly from Tape and write data directly to datastore on SAN)

* IBM document just point that the DP for recovery agent dosen’t support LANFREE.

Thanks in advanced.

sure you can use the ba Client to backup & restore files via lanfree.
dsmc restore vm ...

Information from IBM is that lan(nbd) should be used to restore (may be tested in different Environments) and san for backups

Let I share my problem again. For data path between TSM server and proxy server via lanfree, it works. But for proxy server write data to datastore, it uses lan(nbd) instead of san.

what TSM versions are involved ? server/client

Let I share my problem again. For data path between TSM server and proxy server via lanfree, it works. But for proxy server write data to datastore, it uses lan(nbd) instead of san.

I see that you have alreay zoned the backup servers' hba to the one from vtl but this requires zoning from the backup server to all datastores aswell.

LANFREE and VMVSTORTRANSPORT are two different things.

LANFREE is the path between the PROXY and the TSM SERVER.
VMVSTORTRANSPORT is the path between the PROXY and the VM DATASTORE

Most likely the reason you can't use SAN transport to restore is because you're not allowing it somewhere else. Did you map the SAN paths as read-only? Also, in some cases VMware recommends not using the SAN transport for restore. See http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21508174 and http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1035096

Back