Tsm and Netware6 backup/restore 800Gig plus!

Christoh

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Hi,

I've posted this to the discussion list before, but with limited answers...

Let me try again here:

Let me first describe the environment:

Tsm server: Win2K - Tsm5.1

Tsm Client: Netware6 - Tsm5.1

Disk subsystem: FastT500 - client and server both fibre connected.

Tape subsystem: IBM3583 - 2xLTO drives

Network: IP - point to point connected between client and server 1Gb Nic's

OK - from a hardware point of view the client and server are biggish machines.

both dual processor boxes with 2Gig Ram.

The fastest we can push the backup is 4.2 M/Bytes per second. Now this sounds acceptable but when you have about 800Gig - 3 T/Bytes(Projected growth), to backup you really need faster throughput!

I've done everything in terms of performance tuning - running multiple streams of backup data does not make any difference.

The problem is with Netware TSA's that are only single CPU bound - the same one TSM runs the backup on.

Please don't answer in terms of have you tried this or have you tried that - I've been there done that - got the T-shirt - what I want to know is one thing - ARE YOU ABLE TO BACKUP FASTER THAN 4.2M/Bytes pers second AGGREGATE RATE? If so - please explain how you were able to achieve this - even if it is with another product - because that seems to be my only alternative.

Lan-free would have been nice if it was supported on Netware.....

Thanks

Christo

:cry:

Why not use the FastT's flashcopy? It will give you a point in time backup to another volume which the TSM server can then backup. You may have to upgrade the FastT Storage Manager and the flashcopy option is $10,000, but it should work just fined. Just a thought.

Hi Junderdown,

We are currently using flashcopy as a solution for when we have to restore the

whole box. We have a requirement to backup websites that are hosted on this box - the flashcopy LUN(volume), contains a few thousand businesses websites - and one person braking his website won't go down very well with the other people's updates

that will be missing if we restore the Flashcopy.....

Cheers

Christo

Christoph,

We use a similar configuration to yours except that we have dual gigabit cards in GEC - providing a 2GBit throughput. You can even set four up and have well beyond the 2GBit we are getting. Intel and IBM bothe make a card you can cross connect between servers and get such throughput.

EFH

only an idea ...

Have You asked if it's possible to run multiple instances of TSA600 on the NetWare 6 box?

As I've read from your post, the bottleneck could be this module.-

regards

-jl

Sorry I can't help, but maybe you can help me? How did you get that good of a restore rate. I don't even get a meg a minute. Sounds terrible I know. Like youI have Biggish boxes, a great network, etc. I have looked on server and client side and nothing is bottlenecked hardware/lan wise. It seems like it's a process or something. What are your tuning peremeters that you have set? Do you use colocation? How fast are your drives? Help me please!! :confused:

I think it depends alot on what kind of data you are sending across the wire. I have an SAP database (oracle 8.1.7) running on AIX and can back it all up (1.2TB) in just under 4 hours. I am using 3 3590 tape drives and can push more then 75MB/s to all three. At the same time, I have a Documentum system with only 120GB that takes more then 6 hours to back up, but it contains millions (about 2.4 million) of very small files. All said and done, I backup more then 20TB from 5PM to 6AM every day using 13 3590 tape drives and a single 3494 library.

-Aaron

Back