TSM and file permissions

chad_small

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.tsmadmin.com
I have been working a problem on a Unix server where a user (notice not an admin) had access to SUDO and CHOWN'd the /home filesystem thereby screwing up every users files. The customer did not notify anyone in time to stop the nightly backups and all the file permissions were changed. It was then that I was told by Tivoli that when only the permissions change TSM does not backup the file it just updates the TSM db. The problem was that the customer wanted just permissions restored. No can do! Then he decided a restore from a specific date of /home would be fine....Nope! Since many files had no other versions it would not fix those files permission issues. So any feedback on how it could be fixed would be great. I scoured the TSM DB but don't see anywhere that permissions are listed, so you can't extract it from the DB. The also found that PIT restores were not setting the directory dates to the specific time needed for their app and they had to restore the directory structure only after the restore to get the date to the appropriate time stated in the PITT. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Chad Small

[email protected]

:confused:

Back