TSM Active Log gets Full ??

GIBIN

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am using TSM v6.1.2 on WIN 2003 R2 Server with just 12 client nodes . The active log defined in TSM options file is 10 GB but it is using 39 GB space on the file-system and i had done several DB backups for two days now ,still the active log size does not reduce .

dsmserv.opt
-------------
ACTIVELOGSize 10240
ACTIVELOGDirectory g:\active_log
ARCHLOGDirectory h:\Archive_log

I checked the log usage value from TSM , seems to be just 18 MB
tsm: SERV-BACKUP02>q log f=d

Total Space(MB): 10,240
Used Space(MB): 18.57
Free Space(MB): 39,761.43
Active Log Directory: g:\active_log
Mirror Log Directory:
Archive Failover Log Directory:
Archive Log Directory: h:\Archive_log

I also have enough space in the archive log directory .I just can't understand whats filling the active log ???

I also tried to increase the size of active log to 39GB in dsmserv.opt and restarting the server ,but the server wont start then .

Need advice on what needs to be done .....

:confused:

Where does it say the activelog is using 39GB? You are getting this from windows explorer? If you go to properties of the archivelog folder, how much space does it say is used there?

In the windows properties of Active log , it says 39 GB while the archive log also is 45 GB used . :rolleyes:.

I do run TSM DB backups daily ,the archive log does clear off to 13GB +/- but the Active log remains at 39 GB .

Doesn't sound right. Sounds like there might be some old crap in the activelog directory maybe? Have you ever done any restores/reinstalled the server etc?

Yes i had .. I had restored the TSM server from Db backup after formatting( windows format) the active log directory and archive log directory after a server crash .

steps i took then were ..

1. dsmserv loadformat ----- > to reintialize DB ,active ,archive log and mentioned active log size as 10 GB
2.dsmserv restore db ------ > restored TSM server to last successful DB backup time.

So is it possible for me to delete these old active log files ? ...
i am not sure :confused:

I want to update my active log directory size to 59GB on my TSM server v6.1.2. As of now its just 10 GB .

tsm: SERV-BACKUP02>q log f=d

Total Space(MB): 10,240
Used Space(MB): 0.04
Free Space(MB): 39,779.96
Active Log Directory: g:\active_log
Mirror Log Directory:
Archive Failover Log Directory:
Archive Log Directory: h:\Archive_log

I tried updating the dsmserv.opt with the new size and then restarting the server . But the TSM server won't come UP then.:(

All the IBM documentation i read ,just mentions to update the dsmserv.opt .But this does not work !!

No clue how to change the active log size now ???

Please help me out ...

Hi fellows,

You're just confusing space allocation & usage in the TSM 6.x version

Space allocated is the setting you put in the dsmserv.opt (ACTIVELOGSize 10240)
Space used is the one reported by the q log f=d
here : Used Space(MB): 0.04

As it is a container, space allocated will never reduced, but space used inside this container, YES based on the full db backup you made.

The fact you sever is not starting could be because you've choose a greater value for the ACTIVELOGSize than the directory can host (as example freespace on g:\active_log < 10240 (or whatever value you have)).

So to ensure server is restarting with good condition is:
- Check free space on g:\active_log
- Update dsmserv.opt accordingly
-Start TSM server

Then it should be fine

PS : Don't forget that it is DB2 behind, that mean no activelog capability, DB2 got crashed (thus TSM)

Regards
Jo

Back