TSM 6.1 - TCR Reporting -- DB2 issues

Kris2k

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm on day-2 of my TSM 6.1.2 deployment, and I'm having a bit of problems getting TCR (Tivoli Common Reporting) to work, which is the basic reporting package with the Admin Center.

I had an issue where my reports weren't able to connecto to DB2 on port 50000, so I fixed it by changing the DB2 SVCENAME parameter from blank to 50000. I even tested the DB2 connection on that port to ensure that it works with a DB2 client, but TCR still complains.

Here's the Client Backup Currency report problem, which is consistent to all the others:

The following items have errors:

ReportDesign (id = 1):
+ Cannot open the connection for the driver: org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc
Failed to get connection.
SQL error #1: [ibm][db2][jcc][t4][2030][11211] A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: TCP/IP.
Communication API being used: SOCKETS. Location where the error was detected: Reply.fill().
Communication function detecting the error: InputStream.read(). Protocol specific error codes Connection reset, *, 0. Message: Connection reset

So basically, I evolved my issue from connection refused messages, to now connection resets. Am I missing something?

ps: I'm realling missing the reporting from the MMC!

ya know, sometimes its pointless to try to guess what the programmers intended to do when they wrote the software. most of the time, its best to record the errors and ask them the questions directly, since they wrote it!. BUT, based on the error messages

+ Cannot open the connection for the driver: org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc
Failed to get connection.

its appears TMR cannot connect to DB2, even though DB2 can connect to DB2; check for file perms. can a db2 client on another host connect to the tsm db2 port?

next clue,
SQL error #1: [ibm][db2][jcc][t4][2030][11211] A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: TCP/IP.

since tcp/ip protocol requires that each party can reliably communicate with each other, this error is telling us this is not happening. did a firewall/network change occur?

next clue,
Communication API being used: SOCKETS. Location where the error was detected: Reply.fill().
Communication function detecting the error: InputStream.read(). Protocol specific error codes Connection reset, *, 0. Message: Connection reset

apps on a host can use sockets to communicate with each other, so based on the error, the java func Reply.fill wasnt able to get info from the InputStream.read, so what does all this mean....... i dont know, i dont have access to the source code, all we can do is read the tea leaves, but the ultimate soothsayer is the company that wrote the progs, if they choose to not provide info needed by us in the fields to solve our own problems, they will need to deal with our calls....... perhaps thats their intent.

Yep, has to do with the DB2 JDBC L4 drivers; a lot of people seem to be cheating their way-through large query-sets by using the L2 drivers... It's not elegant, but I would like to know if anyone is using TCR 'out-of-the-box' and it actually works?

Back