TSM 5.5.4.3 and DD880 VTL Device Driver Configuration Issue on Solaris 10 OS

shenoysr

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi to All TSM gurus out here,

I was hoping to get some help here with configuring the TSM with DD880 VTL on Solaris 10box.

Below is the TSM - VTL set-up and OS information:

TSM Server Version - 5.5.4.3
OS - Solaris 10 Sparc
HBA - Sun branded Qlogic HBA using the leadville drivers
DD880 is emulating the STK L180 Library with 20 LTO1 Tape Drives and 100 LTO1 Tape volumes
TSM Device driver installed for STK L180 medium changer
IBM tape device driver version 4.2.1 installed for IBM - LTO1 Drives

Zone:

We are using a dedicated port on the HBA adapter and this port has been zoned to the DD880 VTL port.

On the Solaris host, we are able to see all the LUN's when we issue the command:

fcinfo remote-port <wwn> (The STK L180 and 20 Drives are showing up)

Issue:

The IBM Tape device driver does not seem to be creating the /dev/rmt/0st, /dev/rmt/1st and so on

When I run the tapelist -l, we are not seeing any devices being listed in there. The device names that show up under /dev/rmt are as follows:

/dev/rmt/1,1bn,1bcn etc
/dev/rmt/2,2bn.2bcn and so on. I don't see a IBMTape anywhere in the symbolic links.

One point, I don't understand is what entries need to go in to the IBMTape.conf file. The IBM Tape device driver documentation is vague on this one.

I am hoping somebody can help out here. Thanks again to everyone in advance.

I had the same issue with my 3592 and TS1120 tape drives on a new Solaris 10. I got to work by adding these lines onto the /etc/driver_aliases file:

IBMtape "scsiclass,01.vIBM.p03592J1A"
IBMtape "scsiclass,01.vIBM.p03592E05"

After reboot it properly linked to the path to /dev/rmt/.

For your drive and medium changer, you need to find out the name of the device and add it to there.

Hope this helps.

Back