track node occupancy

dhs3

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just finished installing the TSM Reporting and Monitoring feature and have been looking at the charts and data in the TEP and in the Admin Center common reporting. I would like to collect the occupancy of each node and track it over time. I am familiar with the sql code to do the select from the command line, but cannot find how to do this with the R&M feature.

I've read over a presentation from Dave Daun where he mentions that to customize the data collection, I can use either the Universal agent or Agent Builder. The link to the agent builder is broke and no furhter explanation is given.

Can someone point me in the right direction to any documentation that might explain further how to create my custom select statements and store the result in the WAREHOUS?

Thanks

Check out the links here under the Customization section:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...ng+and+monitoring+feature+information+roadmap

While it is possible to collect additional information from the TSM server and store that in the WAREHOUS, you might find the information you want to track already stored. Take a look at the ClientNodeStorage attribute group and see if that has the information you are interested in reporting on. Below are the SQL queries that are issued that eventually end up in the ClientNodeStorage attribute group. There is already information stored about occupancy on a client node level.

ClientNodeStorage
select a.NODE_NAME, a.DOMAIN_NAME from NODES as a where LENGTH(a.domain_name) IS NOT NULL
select node_name, count(distinct volume_name) from volumeusage a, stgpools b where (a.stgpool_name=b.stgpool_name) and devclass in (select DEVCLASS_NAME from devclasses where devtype in ('REMOVABLEFILE','OPTICAL','worm')) group by node_name
select node_name, count(distinct volume_name) from volumeusage a, stgpools b where (a.stgpool_name=b.stgpool_name) and devclass in (select DEVCLASS_NAME from devclasses where devtype in ('SERVER')) group by node_name
select node_name, count(distinct volume_name) from volumeusage a, stgpools b where (a.stgpool_name=b.stgpool_name) and devclass in (select DEVCLASS_NAME from devclasses where devtype in ('3570','3590','3592','4MM','8MM','DLT','DTF','ECARTRIDGE','GENERICTAPE','LTO','QIC')) group by node_name
select NODE_NAME, NUM_FILES, PHYSICAL_MB, LOGICAL_MB from occupancy
TSM 5.x
select node_name, sum(capacity) as capacity, sum(cast(capacity as decimal) * cast((pct_util/100) as decimal)) as used from filespaces group by node_name
TSM 6.x
select node_name, sum(capacity) as capacity, sum(cast(capacity as decimal(14,2)) * cast((pct_util/100) as decimal)) as used from filespaces group by node_name

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to take some time to review the documents under the link. There appears to be a lot of good information there.

I can see what you mean with the data already being tracked based on the "select NODE_NAME, NUM_FILES, PHYSICAL_MB, LOGICAL_MB from occupancy" line above. I checked the TEP portal to view what value was stored under "Server Used" which I believe relates to this query, but it has a value of zero. This could be because I've just started collecting data today.

I think I'm on the right track though, and will spend some time going over the documents you linked to.

Thanks again.

If you look in the "Client Node Storage" attribute group the PHYSICAL_MB column from the occupancy is represented as the "Disk Usage" column but it represents the sum of all the filespaces data for that node. So if you are looking for the total space used by Node XYZ then the Disk Usage column should match the output from the following:

select sum(physical_mb) from occupancy where node_name='XYZ'

The "Server Used" column in "Client Node Storage" represents node data stored on volumes on other servers based on the following query.

select node_name, count(distinct volume_name) from volumeusage a, stgpools b where (a.stgpool_name=b.stgpool_name) and devclass in (select DEVCLASS_NAME from devclasses where devtype in ('SERVER')) group by node_name

Back