Too many versions

back1up

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
I update my policy sets and activated them to keep fewer versions. The origianl admin set them up to keep 10 versions of everything. Now the library is full with no scratch and I have no where to backup to. What is the next step to expire all the excess versions of files that I no longer wish to keep? I was thinking it was to just expire the inventory....

Things to consider:

Is collocated turned on? Collocation by node consumes more tapes.
Are you running reclamation on both the primary and off site tape pools?
Is expiration running?

If you update the policy to reflect a lower number of versions to keep, activate it, run expiration, and do reclamation then you may recover some or a lot of scratch tapes.

However, this will be a long process and without scratch tapes, you cannot backup new data. You may want to move the primary tapes elsewhere to have some room. See "help move media".

No collo, reclamation is enabled. Sounds like I just need to get reclamation going at this point. I will see what I can do as for moving the data.

If I had another random server with a lot of disk can I get TSM to see it as a storage pool to backup data into it temporarily?

If I had another random server with a lot of disk can I get TSM to see it as a storage pool to backup data into it temporarily?

Definitely as primary backup with migration turned OFF to prevent moving over data to tapes.

Will you be doing server-to-server? If you can connect the disk to the TSM server, this will be a lot easier.

Back