TOCMGmtclass - what is it good for?

n9hmg

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Well, IBM has finally found the bug that causes backupset generation to fail when activedata is present if any aggregate is accessed which contains an object for which the version used will be retrieved from primary storage instead of activedata. If you generate many backupsets, that's an issue... you just can't make them all at once on the day the data comes in... that's why there're PIT options.
I've got an engineering build which answers handsomely, and I'm sure the next releases will have the fix.... that reminds me. I'd better tell them it worked, so they can roll it out.

Anyway, now I'm starting to think about restoring these backupsets. I've been generating them with TOCs so far. I have a tocdest in every defmgmtc except the TDP domains, so TOCMGmtclass isn't a required option if I quit using TOC=N, but I now wonder, why even bother with a choice? I presume retention is irrelevant - TOC lives until backupset is deleted (manually or by expiration), right?
Maybe some people keep a separate stg that doesn't next to tape... sort of an activedata just for TOCs. That's the only reason I can think of for specifying a mgmtc for the TOC... likely restores keep TOC on disk, ones where you might just skip the TOC you let go through migration?
Do any of you have other ideas, experience, knowledge?

Back