Tivoli Enterprise Portal - alerting & email

ChrisRees

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Well the last few days I have taken my first brave steps into the world of TSM 6.1 Reporting and Monitoring. Everything is installed and up and running ( I think )

But just a comment really for any IBM developers that may read this forum..

Why in TEP when I configure a situation for something inside TSM, for example Database > 90% used, is there not the option to send an email alert? This type of functionality was fundamental to Operational Reporter.

Ok I can issue system commands to call an email program but it would be much better were it built in.

The same can be said for the reports produced in TCR. Why can they not easily be scheduled to run at a certain frequency/time and then emailed out? Again easily done in Operational Reporter...

My 2 cents

(apologies if other threads have discussed the above)

I could not agree more.

The missing email function is a major drawback that I hadn't expected.

I'm in the process of upgrading from TSM 5.5 to 6.1, and was hoping to save some money on a license from an external DWH by using TSM Reporting & Monitoring, but the lack of email is a major setback.

Does anyone know who to contact for this to be implemented ASAP?

Ok I can issue system commands to call an email program but it would be much better were it built in.
Could You please share some details on how to do this?

I'm having the same problem as you do, and can't figure out how to send an e-mail if a specific scenario occurs in TEP. Only option is to issue a system command, but since it's running on z/OS I'm short on ideas..

A reference where else to ask is also welcome. :)

Cheers!

Hello everyone. It's my first message. This community has been a great resource of TSM related issues. I'm glad it exists..

I'm no expert or long-timer with TSM but I'm using Tivoli Storage Manager Management Console to send email reports on functionality issues and events like certain important backups that i need to know if they were succesfull or not. I have this piece of software installed on a windows machine. It just queries the server (which is version 5.5 on AIX) and sends emails for whatever queries you define..
Good luck!

Thanks for the response tehbucket. :)

Unfortunately, the topic subject and my previous post is related to Tivoli Enterprise Portal, not TSM itself.

I have been working with IBM Tivoli Monitoring 6.x since it has been aquired from OMEGAMON.
some of my first problems with it was why reporting and alerting system does not have built in ability to send an email?
Now it is a part of TSM reporting, and there has been let say 4 years from time IBM is taking care about that product (OMEGAMON/ITM), and I really did not find any proof of IBM intention to put that functionality (generating emails) into the product. You have to script it yourself. If you are lucky to have it (ITM) on unix/linux, it is really easy to achieve, but on windows it is not that easy. Not mentioning rich, nice formatted alert emails, just simple txt mails.

I can't understand it. It is so basic to monitoring/alerting system, that it is ridiculous not to have it. But, it is so IBM-ish! Why do things simple if they can be complicated!?

As I can recall, when the product has been acquired by IBM, it was popular for its functionality for mainframe computers, Z/os and DB2, and it was not that good at "distributed" platforms. So, it looks like it follows mainframe mindset, where you have to do most of the things yourself.

Advice:

Script your email functionality yourself. Do not expect that IBM is going to do anything in that system about alerting by email.

Thanks for that info.

I was working through the pre-built reports in the monitoring area, and I'm not really impressed with what I found. Really, the the reports spat out by the old management MMC were sufficient for my needs; I'm not managing a massive server farm, or anything. I just want a pretty email every morning telling me what went down with last night's schedules, and if there were any unusual log messages.

I think a call to the Servergraph sales people will be in my immediate future...

Thanks again,

Nathan

Back