Thoughts on SANergy

denisl

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello,

I'm looking into SANergy as a possible configuration for doing LAN Free backups to a FILE device class instead of having to a physical tape drive.

I notice that SANergy doesn't appear to be too popular of a product.. I guess so much so that IBM removed the SANergy section out of the 5.1 Technical Guide Redbook where it was in the 4.1 Technical Guide Redbook..

I don't understand why this technology didn't take off better. The ability to do LAN Free backups to disk is a great feature and cost savings.

The advantages I see for SANergy are:

1. Many more concurrent LAN Free backups, not restricted by number of physical tape drives.

2. Ability to specify the size of the FILE device type volume being created in the FILE device class SANergy storage pool.

3. Cost - I can migrate my FILE SANergy pool to much fewer real physical tape drives in a sequential access storage pool.

4. Sharing a clients HBA with Disk and Tape is no longer an issue since the FILE device class will use disk type block sizes in its writes (Not 256K block sizes like 359X).

5. Tape mount times are instantaneous for backups.

In the 4.1 Technical Guide there are only 5 supported configurations. The TSM server looks like it has to be a Win2K or Solaris server and supported clients look to be only AIX or Win2K.. Is this accurate today? Is Solaris a supported client? Anybody know where there is an updated TSM/SANergy support matrix/

I would be very interested on your thoughts and opinions as well as any technical documentation you can point me to.

Thanks,

Denis

Back