Test VTL efficiancy

avinim8

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
We just bought 2 VTL machines (EDL3d 1500 from EMC). The primary machine should replicate data to the secondary one after de-duping the data on the source machine.
We want to set them in production ASAP but first have to test the dedup ratio in order to know what kind of bandwidth we need to have.
Do you guys have any ideas on how to it?

We thought about setting some important clients to backup into the VTL for several days and then check the dedup ratio. what do you think?
Is there a way we can move the clients data from the phisycal library to the VTL and save the time of backing it on the VTL for a few days? something like movenodedata, but into another library?

Thanks,
Avi

When I put my VTL in place (EDL 4206) I copied the node data just as you suggest. It takes a long time but it does work and it can run in the background on the TSM server or hours/days without any problems.

-Aaron

After moving the node's data to a new storage pool , all I need to do is assign the node to domain that points to this storage pool?
that way it will backup continually to the same stgpool, right?

move nodedata XXXXXXX fromstg=oldstg tostg=fancy_new_VTL maxprocess=number of tape drives you want to use

Back