TDPO Upgrade causes performance loss

tsm_dude

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Anybody upgraded the TDPO on HP-UX 11.11 PA-risc and noticed a performance loss, online db backups now take twice as long.
Environment;

TSM BA/API 5.1.5 updated to 5.3.4
TDPO 5.2.0.0 updated to 5.3.3.0
TSM server AIX 5.3, have tried TSM version 5.2 and 5.3
All this software is listed on IBM site as required level for the TDPO upgrade.
I have a call logged with them, but they are pretty useless.

Have verified All settings stay same during upgrade ie;tcpbuf/compression etc
Help please ;)

send us more info here if you can

Not sure what your after, there are no errors etc. I have rolled back the upgrade on 1 server and the backup time is exactly half. The Oracle is
9.2.0.7 (64bit) on HPux 11.11 (PA-risc). I followed IBM web-site for required software
to update to TDPO 5.3.3.0 and IBM have also verified it correct.
Since the upgrade the backups now take exactly twice as long to complete.
The RMAN scripts haven`t changed, TSM config the same.

The old and new TDPO are both 64 bit, use the libobk.sl in /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin64 and the dsm.sys in api/bin64

I am thinking the RMAN channels are not working and must be re-defined some way.

You're on the right track, you can relink the libraries if you like.
How is the patching. Anything networking wise that may have changed.
Hows the TSM API, itself - running at 32 or 64bit.
What are the backup times in comparison to the other HP nodes. Have you run a cold backup against oracle and timed that as well?

You're on the right track, you can relink the libraries if you like.
How is the patching. Anything networking wise that may have changed.
Hows the TSM API, itself - running at 32 or 64bit.
What are the backup times in comparison to the other HP nodes. Have you run a cold backup against oracle and timed that as well?

The library file is not linked by default install in 5.3.3 as it is in 5.2 versions, so you must manually do it which I had done. If your library isn`t setup right the backup doesn`t even start. The 64 bit oracle, TDP and TSM API is used.

The main thing here is that I have rolled back the update on 1 system and the problem went away, so I know it has nothing to do with anything besides the TDP software.

Thanks for your suggestions, I hadn`t thought about running an offline backup. Also - only on large databases does the problem arise, small systems no difference noticed.

Back