TDP_SQL: options STRIPES + MAXNUMMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

chudi

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to clarify some paramentros of TDPSQL/TSM. According to my own experience the option "STRIPES" indicated number of bands for the transfer of files to tsm server. If that does not have enough space on stg - file goes directly to the tape. In this case STRIPES has "more power" and does not take into account the MAXNUMMP facing the node. It mean if MAXNUMMP STRIPES = 3 and = 1 and the base exceed the space of stg it will go directly to the tape and will asks for 3 tape units ...
Now comes the query: I have a base of 1600 Gbs. My stg has only 700 Gbs. The TSM has 2 units. The tdp_config has STRIPES = 3. Then 1600 / 3 = 533 Gbs per stripe, then 1 would have to go to the stg of 700 Gbs. In real life does not happen like that. The third stripe wait for mount point to....

I am looking for an optimal optimization for the bkp does not exceed 12 hours (I have no possibility to implement LAN free). Any suggestions ...

Hi,

If the database contains lots of text, you may get a long way by enabeling compression in dsm.opt.

In terms of speed, have you increased buffers etc in tdpsql.cfg file? That can get you another speedincrease.

Try to beef up all buffers, thet stripe size to two, and see if that can push data fast enough to your tape drives.

Hello Trident, thank for fast response.
Yes, The compression is enabled. The 1600 Gbs using compression becomes 700 Gbs, just so it takes over 12 hours (14 hours). The actual config is as follows:
BUFFers 3
BUFFERSIze 1024
STRIPes 2
SQLBUFFers 0
SQLBUFFERSIze 1024
I'll try to leave it like this:
BUFFers 8
BUFFERSIze 8192
STRIPes 2
SQLBUFFers 8 ---> I have never set this option, always leaved it as "0"
SQLBUFFERSIze 8192
What do you think about ?
The issue is that I can run bkp Saturdays only ...

Hi

I have
buffers 4
buffersize 8192
sqlbuffers 16
sqlbuffersize 4096

For my heavy sql servers.

You can start a full backup, and se the speed. Press ctrl c will cancel it.

Hello Trident, how are you ? Thank you once more. Now I have to wait for Saturday. After I will tell about the result. Regards

Hello,
Actually didnt change anything... For the next saturday I am going to change buffer* configuration but I think that backup depends a lot of database status, I mean when I take backup the database is using a lot by the users and as a result I have a speed limit of data transfer.

Regards

Thanks to all, ultimately the client put a starage of 4 Tbs - issue resolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back