TDP SQL Full+Diff+Log backup policy

tatuinf

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi!, I've been trying to implement a Full+Diff+Log backup policy but I have some questions.

I need to do Full backup once a week, Diff backup daily and Log backup every 2 hours. So I want to save 3 versions of the Full bakcup, 6 versions of the Diff backups and 24 versions of the Logs. To do that, I created 3 Domain Policies. One to each type of backup with the numbero of versions mentioned.

The problem is that I can't get the same node with different Policy Domain. What I should do? I don't like the idea of creating a node for each type of backup.

What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

You would use management classes to deal with the retention/version settings, but you don't need to divide it up.

I'm kind of confused about what you're trying to do, but you basically want 21 days available for restore. Create a management class....

Verdeleted = NoLimit
Verexist = NoLimit
RetExtra = 21
RetOnly = 21

Apply it to your database and TSM TDP will keep up with the logs/differentials/fulls.

GregE, thanks for your reply. I'll explain a little more.

I have to balance between days I can recover and the space occupancy. I want to do weekly full backups and mantain three versions so I can go back three weeks.

Then, I want to do daily differential backups and mantain twelve versions to go back to any particular day in the last two weeks. I want twelve and not fourteen versions becouse I plan to not do differential backup the day I do full backup.

Finally, I want 24 versions of log backups becouse I don't want to loose more than an hour. And with 24 versions I can go back at any time in the last 24 hours.

That's what I want to implement. Maybe you know a better way to do it.
My first try was to create one Policy Domain for each type of backup but I couldn't make it work.

PD: Excuse my bad english :redface:

Setup a management class similar to what I described, but use 14 instead of 21.

Setup a TSM server "daily" schedule, (set for 6 days of the week) and run a batch file similar to:
tdpsqlc backup * FULL ....

Setup a second TSM server "weekly" schedule, (set for the one day you don't run a full backup) and run a batch file similar to:
tdpsqlc backup * DIFF ....

This will allow you to go back to any day within those 2 weeks.

If I understand correctly, you DO NOT need to apply any logs that are older than one day? So for example, if you restore a database from 3 days ago, you're only interested in restoring the full and/or differential, depending on which backup took place 3 days ago? You are not interested in being able to choose a log file to restore also from a specific point in time during those days?

If not, setup a second management class and apply it to the logs only.
Verdeleted = NoLimit
Verexist = NoLimit
RetExtra = 1
RetOnly = 1

INCLUDE "\...\data\...\log*" <mgmtclass_for_logs>

I think this is what you are trying to do.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I want to do. I will try this and comment the results.

This is the line that I need. I didn't know that the management class can be specified that way.
INCLUDE "\...\data\...\log*" <mgmtclass_for_logs>

I have one last question. If I use a management class with 14, This would keep 14 versions of the full backup and 14 versions differential backup? This could be so much space needed.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
I have one last question. If I use a management class with 14, This would keep 14 versions of the full backup and 14 versions differential backup? This could be so much space needed.

You can to do 3 management class in 1 Policies Domain for data:

mgmtclass_for_full_data
mgmtclass_for_diff_data
mgmtclass_for_log_data

and optional 3 for meta - if you want to have 'destination' for meta in other pool
mgmtclass_for_full_meta
mgmtclass_for_diff_meta
mgmtclass_for_log_meta

and in clientoptset write 3 lines for data:

INCLUDE "\...\data\...\full*" <mgmtclass_for_full_data>
INCLUDE "\...\data\...\diff*" <mgmtclass_for_diff_data>
INCLUDE "\...\data\...\log*" <mgmtclass_for_log_data>

and 3 for meta:

INCLUDE "\...\meta\...\full*" <mgmtclass_for_full_meta>
INCLUDE "\...\meta\...\diff*" <mgmtclass_for_diff_meta>
INCLUDE "\...\meta\...\log*" <mgmtclass_for_log_meta>

Back