sjhorvath

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
This is for IBM'ers

We picked up the 5.4.1.2 backup/archive client for HP-UX ia64 and I've had
trouble getting Oracle TDP to work with 5.4.1.2 backup/archive. I'm thinking
that the problem is in the B/A or the packaging of the API, not the TDP.

I've tried the following TDPs with 5.4.1.2 B/A:

5.4.1.0-TIV-TSMORA-HPUXIA64.bin
5.3.3 version whose bin file was just called: TDPOracle64.bin
(aside- this renaming thing every other version is highly painful)

The symptom is sbttest test doesn't work it complains about libobk errors. RMAN
backups reports a media management layer error.

Yes, I know these are the basic indications of config file or permission errors and I thought so too. But we've been using the TDP products since 2004 so we're not noobs, but we do make mistakes. I checked permissions on DSMI_LOG dir, dsmerror.log file and dir are wide open 666/777 for b/a. agent.lic is there and readable, tdpoconf password has been changed sucessfully. TDPO_OPTFILE is fine.

Another reason i'm 99% certain it's not our config, is that I did an swremove of the software for the BA and TDP, without touching surrounding config files and after downgrading it to 5.4.0.0 B/A and 5.3.3 TDP, sbttest test, and an RMAN backup work.

In my mail below, I decided to come here instead of making a PMR because I am
fine for now with the old version. It seems I have gravitated to only making PMRs if
I'm really hosed because the legwork on my end gathering too much basic info turns me off to calling support. (As opposed to having a diag/dump/gather tool that sends to the vendor, example = EMC's emcgrab).

Thanks,
Steve

-----------------

Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 5:49 PM
To: XXXX, J
Cc: XXXXXXX, G
Subject: 5412 baclient for ia64

Hi,

There seems to be a problem getting oracle tdp to work with 5412.

I grabbed that new 5.4.x TDP we were looking at, and that didn't work on
a 5412 B/A system that we had TDP problems with.

So 5412 B/A didn't work with 5.3.3 TDP or the new 5.4 tdp.

I think you'll have to downgrade those Itanium clients to 5400 for now.
(In case we get a request to setup TDP).

I'll probably make a PMR tomorrow. I think there is an issue with 5412, not
the tdp.

So I got your system to work by backing out to 5400 BA/533 TDP, I did not contact the DBA though.

Thanks,
Steve

I have since found that there is an APAR for this with no current fix except to downgrade.

Also interesting is that they have a security vulnerability issue (unrelated to this issue) and recommend to go to 5.4.1.2 B/A, which we can't on itanium clients needing RMAN backups. The 5.3.5.3 B/A seems too much of a step backward.... decisions.

Steve
Thanks very much for the bringing this point to our attention - and I am happy you elected to downgrade slightly on the versioning to get the TDP to work. I think you alone has set a baseline for all of us in this regard. My experience with Itanium B/A client is to insure I downloaded the correct API bit version as well as the Itanium version of the B/A client. Unfortunately, Itanium like Solaris is quite cumbersome when it comes to support and implementation. The only suggestion I would make to you is to insure you have brought down the correct API version. The other errors - are related to your Oracle dsm.opt file and its permissions. Another thought too - is you may have to "rebind" or "relink" your Oracle binaries - similarly as we would have to do with Oracle 8. The security vulnerability is with CAD and potential buffer overflow - but I have not seen this error yet in any of my environments.
Dont know what else to tell ya but thanks for the heads up and the current info on Itanium vs TDP Oracle.

sjhorvath-

If you are runnning TSM Client v5.4.1.2 for HP Unix, use the TDP 5.2.2.1.
We ran into this problem this morning. When we upgraded the TSM Client on the HP Unix server but the TDP down level. We had to open up a PMR with Tivoli. Per their suggestion go to the latest TDP client for RMAN on HP-UNIX64

Make sure you log file have the 666 permission...The new TDP required higher permission for the rman log file...

Back