TDP for VMware Incremental Forever Space Utilization

jmmartin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like to compare the space utilization I'm seeing for the TDP for VMware 6.4 Forever Incremental Backups with those of you who are also doing this.

After 30 days I am seeing about a 2.5x increase in space occupancy per 30 days on the TSM server as compared to the space usage in VMware. My actual stats are:
69 VMs backed with an retention average of 25 days. Most have 30 days though. The total usage in VMware is 3,123 GB. In TSM it is 11,381,415 GB.

How does this compare to anyone else? Thank you for sharing.

Thanks,

Joe

Which parameter are you using to read space in VMware?

In vSphere 'm using "Used Storage" under the Resources section per VM.

I wanted to update this in case it helps anyone.. I was seeing high space utilization with my TDP for VMware backups. Turns out there was a bug that was fixed in the ESXi patch to ESXi-5.1.0-20130704001. It was happening with Windows Server 2008 R2 where the change block tracking sends more data than was actually changed. After patching the ESXi hosts, the TDP backups are sending data as expected.

The bug is

"PR1014097: When you call QueryChangedDiskAreas to get changes between snapshot ID and previous change ID, the reported change is much larger than the actual change. This issue occurs with application quiesced snapshots that are created on virtual machines running Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012."

Hi,
thank you for your precious tip.
I was searching for some info as a customer of mine started to complain about backup timing growing day by day, even if the system is modified always by the same amount of data (i.e. 50GB/day).
Today they installed all the latest VMware patches and we are going to update TSM client and TDP for VE to latest lavels.
I'll post the results...

Thank you.

Back