TDP for Oracle LAN-Free restore problem

gatherpc

Newcomer
Reaction score
I once was a fairly competent ADSM/TSM administrator a couple of decades ago, but have only dabbled more recently. But I've picked up a piece of work to upgrade the drives and library from TS3310/LTO5 to TS4300/LTO9 in an aging TSM environment with restrictions on software levels and hardware components.

We have Oracle with RMAN running using TDP for Oracle, running on a mainly AIX estate with TSM Server 8.1.13.100 (held back because AIX 7.1 TL5 is the latest OS we can easily put on the hardware). Atape has been upgraded to 14.0.4 to support LTO9 drives. Generally, the new library is working as expected with the server, without any problems.
LAN-Free is configured for the Oracle server(s), and works fine to the new library for backup, with the data passing across the SAN. Storage Agent and TSM Client have been upgraded to match the server.

To pass our acceptance tests, we need to be able to prove an RMAN restore from the new library, but when we do a restore (which ultimately works), the data comes back over the LAN, and thus the restore takes around 5 times longer than the backup. I see the traffic as coming through the LAN on NMON on the TSM server and the Oracle server, and the final restore report does not say any data was transferred LAN-Free.

The data remains on the LTO9 tapes it is written to during the backup. It is not migrated anywhere, so should be directly readable by the Oracle server using the same path(s) it was backed up using.

I strongly suspect that this is not a problem with any of the new hardware, but I can't be so certain about the software. I do not know for certain that LAN-Free restore was working before TSM was upgraded, and nobody around here remembers ever doing a LAN-Free RMAN restore (people move on, reports on prior work get lost, and [touch wood] we've never needed to do such a restore in-anger since I've been on the project).

Using the same dsm.opt as is being used by RMAN, I can backup files using the Backup/Archive client LAN-Free, and also restore them LAN-Free, so I believe that the LAN-Free setup at least works both ways.

I am almost certainly missing something in the links between RMAN, TDPO and the Storage Agent, and I can't see what.

Any hints about what might be the problem would be gratefully accepted.

Because of the nature of this client, I will not be able to post full logs, or even detailed configurations, but I will try to cherry pick any information that may be helpful on request. If anybody can tell me what to look for, I will report back what I find, but please be aware that we have done the basic troubleshooting that the documentation suggests, so we don't need to go from ground-zero.

Thank you in advance,
Peter Gathercole.

Back