TDP for Exchange 2010

odhammar

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
We have been waitning for a TDP client for Exch 2010 for nearly 7 months and now when it's finally arrives it not the easist thing to get a grip on. I think I have most up and running except for the following requirement: The "Microsoft Exchange VSS Integration Module", I have tried to find it to download on my IBM Advantage pages etc. but no luck. It should be to find on the 'TSM Copy Services' CD under a folder called plugin, so do anyone know how to find 'TSM Copy Services' to download or is it a seperate license for that product?

I would also like to know the answer to this question... I'm afraid that a TSM for Copy Services license is also required. And if so, I'm a bit bummed that this wasn't made more clear up-front, as this module is a requirement for backing up Exchange 2010!

Nothing extra needed

I opened a PMR with IBM support to clarify this. Here is the response from Level 2 TSM support:

"As you are aware, the Exchange Server 2010 will only allow a VSS backup to be performed. This functionality is included in the 6.1.2 TDP Exchange release that you have installed. As per the manaul, if you are performing an Exchange Server 2010 backup, no further licensing/products are needed (except the TDP license which you have from the Passport Advantage 6.1.0 download)."

I'm now working with the tech to figure out why VSS snapshots aren't working for me, but at least I now know that we don't need to purchase something else to make this work.

I'm also trying to get it work. Definitly you need no further programs or license. I'm at the point I can backup all active databases in our DAG but public folder backup won't work.

The key for me get it working was to get the diskshadow test procedure working. (Explained on page 82 ff. of Data Protection for Microsoft Exchange
Server Installation and User's Guide). It's pretty uncomfortable to mention this prerequisit so late in the handbook.

After this was working I can perform VSS backups using some optional parameters according to DAG and Public Folders.

When I try to backup the Public Folder DB the agent stuck in a loop trying to reset the CAD connection every ten minutes which results in a failure.

trying too

I'm also trying to get it work. Definitly you need no further programs or license. I'm at the point I can backup all active databases in our DAG but public folder backup won't work.

I agree, IBM said, that we have to install:
TSM BA Client 6.2.1.0 (I installed the latest: 6.2.1.1)
and the TDP for Mail / Exchange: 6.1.0.0 (with Lic-File) and the 6.1.2.0 as PTF.

So I installed it, but get an error after clicking on backup ( after choosing a storage group)
"VSS operations are not allowed"

You have an idea for me ?

THanks
Kn8

I agree, IBM said, that we have to install:
TSM BA Client 6.2.1.0 (I installed the latest: 6.2.1.1)
and the TDP for Mail / Exchange: 6.1.0.0 (with Lic-File) and the 6.1.2.0 as PTF.

So I installed it, but get an error after clicking on backup ( after choosing a storage group)
"VSS operations are not allowed"

You have an idea for me ?

THanks
Kn8

Don't you also need the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Copy Services V6.1? I read on some setup instructions that this package is required.

For Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 please test first VSS operations with DISKSHADOW

I copied an extract from the installation guide. Before this won't work correctly, you have nothing different to do. We had an error with the VSS Storage Providers, because there were some additional drivers installed from our storage provider.

Code:
Using the DISKSHADOW command
Before installing IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Mail - Data Protection for
Exchange it is highly recommended that you test core VSS functionality
first. VSS functionality can be validated with the Windows 2008
Server-embedded command DISKSHADOW. DISKSHADOW is available
for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2. The following are
the DISKSHADOW tests that are recommended before any Tivoli Storage
Manager components are installed.
1. Test non-persistent shadow copy creation and deletion.
v Run "diskshadow" in a command window
82 IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Mail: Data Protection for Microsoft Exchange Server Installation and User's Guide
DISKSHADOW>add volume f: (Database volume)
DISKSHADOW>add volume g: (Log volume)
DISKSHADOW>create
DISKSHADOW>list shadows all (this may take a few minutes)
DISKSHADOW>delete shadows all
Note: Volumes f: and g: represent the Exchange Database and log
volumes. Repeat this 4 times. Verify the Windows Event Log contains
no errors.

2. Test Persistent shadow copy creation and deletion.
Run "diskshadow" on a command window
DISKSHADOW>set context persistent
DISKSHADOW>add volume f: (Database volume)
DISKSHADOW>add volume g: (Log volume)
DISKSHADOW>create
DISKSHADOW>list shadows all (This may take a few minutes)
DISKSHADOW>delete shadows all

no errors.
3. Test Non-persistent transportable shadow copy creation and deletion
DISKSHADOW>set option transportable
DISKSHADOW> add volume f: (Database volume)
DISKSHADOW> add volume g: (Log volume)
DISKSHADOW>set metadata c:\metadata\exchangemeta.cab
(specify the path where you want the metadata stored)
DISKSHADOW> create
Manually copy the exchangemeta.cab file from the source server to
the offload server and run these two commands:
– DISKSHADOW>LOAD METADATA path toexchangemeta.cab
– DISKSHADOW>IMPORT
– DISKSHADOW>list shadows all (This may take a few minutes)
– DISKSHADOW>delete shadows all
no errors.

For Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 please test first VSS operations with DISKSHADOW

I copied an extract from the installation guide. Before this won't work correctly, you have nothing different to do. We had an error with the VSS Storage Providers, because there were some additional drivers installed from our storage provider.

Excellent information! Thanks!

I've had horrible experience with VSS on Server 2003/2008. I don't imagine this will be any different. The only bad thing is it's for Exchange and the TLogs won't clear without the backup running....

3. Test Non-persistent transportable shadow copy creation and deletion
DISKSHADOW>set option transportable
DISKSHADOW> add volume f: (Database volume)
DISKSHADOW> add volume g: (Log volume)
DISKSHADOW>set metadata c:\metadata\exchangemeta.cab
(specify the path where you want the metadata stored)
DISKSHADOW> create
Manually copy the exchangemeta.cab file from the source server to
the offload server and run these two commands:
– DISKSHADOW>LOAD METADATA path toexchangemeta.cab
– DISKSHADOW>IMPORT
– DISKSHADOW>list shadows all (This may take a few minutes)
– DISKSHADOW>delete shadows all
no errors.[/CODE]

During step 3 when I do ADD VOLUME [my Exchange drive, or any other drive for that matter] I get:

The provider does not support volume shadow copies for this volume in this context.
You must either change the context or add a different volume.
Note that changing the context might cause existing volumes in the shadow copy set to become unsupported.

Any ideas?

Hi.

I got the VSS backup on Exchange 2010 to work after pulling my hair for quite some time. I found out that I had to create a CAD and configure TDP to use the BA node for VSS backups. I am able to run full backups of the Exchange server, but if I try to run an incremental backup, I get the following messages:
ACN5073E None of components entered are in a state to be backed up.
ACN6040W Component <Mailbox Database 08230284234> requires a full backup. Data Protection for Exchange can not perform an incremental or differential backup - skipping.

This happens even if I try an incremental backup directly after a full backup has been done.
Am I missing something? Do I need to do something more to be able to do incremental backups?

EDIT:
Incremental backups work now, but I don't know why since I have not changed anything.

Last edited:
Back