TDP Domino WebClient - Cannot get it to work

Faymous1

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
TSM 5.4.2 Server on AIX. Using TSM TDP client for Domino Version 5, Release 4, Level 1.2

I can manually backup domino databases using command line but cannot get the web gui to work (Windows Internet Explorer and go to server:1581)

Can open web gui and B/A works fine. When going to "domino nsf " and try to select domino Data Protection for Notes, I see no nodes and get pop that says "This node cannot be selected".

In dsmerror.log see following messages:
03/19/08 21:18:02 ANS1608E Domino plugin operation failed with the following message:
ANS1025E (RC137) Session rejected: Authentication failure

Again, I can backup using command line but cannot use this gui. Anyone have any hints or a real document that shows how to get it working ? (IBM doc s*cks.)

Also wondering how to schedule domino backup. I have tsm B/A using dsmcad and it works fine ... how do you schedule a domino tdp backup ?

thanks in advance fo anyone's help

I bet your Domino server is also crashing once you launch the GUI!!
Domino has not been able to support any GUI interface interactivity with TSM for some time. And from what Im told from other Domino users, this is not going to happen any time soon. Therefore the command line is the only option available to you. Sorry.

To schedule your backups - create a "command schedule" using the appropriate domdsmc commands. Change your options file to prompted from polling and give it a whurl.

Hope this helps

Domino Doesn't crash when GUI is launched ...

Thanks for answering ! Anyway, the manual says it works and if I get it working, it's a bonus. Real problem at moment is getting it to automatically run via schedule. If you can help, it would be appreciated.

For the regular B/A client I use dsmcad and it runs flawlessly. Don't understand how to get tdp domino to run via a schedule. I see in manual to create a dsmc sched and then create a script, such as dominc, that performs incremental backup. How does dsmc sched know to run that script ? ...

If someone could help me out here and give me better directions that the poorly written manual, is woul dbe appreciated. An example of DSM.SYS would also help.

thanks in advance

Can you verify that a Web Client Service is configured for the Domino Node or not. If not then you need to create the "Remote Client for Domino" Service by using either the BA Client GUI or dsmcutil command.

i.e

dsmcutil install remoteagent /name:'Remote Client for Domino' /node:'DominoServerNodeName' /password: 'dominoServerNodepassword' /autostart:yes /clientdir:'Your BA Client Directory Path' /adsmoptfile:'Your Domino Option File' /partnername:'Your BA Client CAD Name' /webport:1582 /validate:yes

For scheduling the Domino Backup, you need to create a TSM Scheule on your TSM server with the Command as a option and your command will be the batch file defined on your domino server. This batch file will be having the command line syntax to backup the domino server database.

Last edited:
I do have tsm schedule on tsm server (and see where the script name is entered). Also created script on client and seems to almost work (it's prompting for password). Can't use dsmc sched - get error in log saying "Scheduler cannot be started manually because the value of MANAGEDSERVICES option is SCHEDULE". I use dsmcad for B/A and it works good. How do I schedule tdp for domino and resolve password issue ? Thanks for any help

Create a schedule on the TSM server. In the dsm.sys file - change the schedmode to prompted. You can leave the managedservcies line entry in there - this will start dsmc sched when its time. You are OK there. Your Domino TDP should be a registered node within the TSM server, simply run upd node <password>. Then run the appropriate domdsmc command to validate.

I tried the suggestions and changed schedmode to prompted and left managedservices line entry - seems to run script now. It still prompts for password so included it in dominc script. It now has problems running as root - can't find notes.ini . running script manually as user 'notes' works, running as user 'root' fails. If using 'rrot' the script su - notes but still fails with that **** 'can't find notes.ini' .. whatcould be wrong and why so I need to include password in script to get this thing to run ?

Check paths- environment variables, - permissions, standard SA stuff.
You shouldnt need to enter the password each time or in the script. Verify your password access variable - make sure its not set to prompted but to generated.
Let us know

Seems like problem notes.ini issue may be due to what shell is being run ? When dominc script is run using 'notes' id, all is fine. When dominc is run as 'root' , it can't find notes.ini . 'root' uses ksh and 'notes' uses bash shell. As an example:

When logged in a 'notes', I see the DOMI_ settings (excerpt below)

$ whoami;set
notes { this is user }
AIXTHREAD_MNRATIO=1:1
AUTHSTATE=compat
BASH=/usr/bin/bash
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="3" [1]="00" [2]="16" [3]="1" [4]="release" [5]="powerpc-ibm-aix5.1")
BASH_VERSION='3.00.16(1)-release'
COLUMNS=122
DIRSTACK=()
DOMI_CONFIG=/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/domino/bin/domdsmc_notes/domdsm.cfg
DOMI_DIR=/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/domino/bin
DOMI_LOG=/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/domino/bin/domdsmc_notes
DSMI_CONFIG=/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/domino/bin/domdsmc_notes/dsm.opt
DSMI_LOG=/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/domino/bin/domdsmc_notes

When logged in as 'root' and su - notes, I do not see the DOMI_ settings. (except below)

# whoami; su - notes "-c set"
root
AUTHSTATE=files
BASH=/usr/bin/bash
BASH_ARGC=()
BASH_ARGV=()
BASH_EXECUTION_STRING=set
BASH_LINENO=()
BASH_SOURCE=()
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="3" [1]="00" [2]="16" [3]="1" [4]="release" [5]="powerpc-ibm-aix5.1")
BASH_VERSION='3.00.16(1)-release'
DIRSTACK=()
EUID=203

Anyone know how to make it so that when root su's to 'notes' is see's the environment variables ?

Back