TDP clients keep missing their window

kongfranon

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am pretty much new to TSM, never used it before up until about 2 weeks ago. Currently have TSM running a Linux box with 4 GB ram. The entire network is 10/100 ( I suspect this is the issue but not 100% sure)

There is about 21 TDP Windows SQL clients in the schedule, and a total of 50 clients all together. Though not all are backed up every night. Some are just once a week.

Most of the SQL TDP clients say the following in the logs:

ANS1351E: Session rejected: All server sessions are currently in use

When I checked the TSM Activity log I saw the following:

maximum server sessions (25) exceeded

So after doing some reading here I increased the sessions to 100 and max sched sessions to 80. Now I get this error

maximum server sessions (100) exceeded

I was looking at TSM option file and no really special settings like using any extra connections.

Would you recommend I keep increasing sessions? I checked the cache ratio and it was 99% still.

Also the TDP are doing full all the time since not enough space from what I understand to do transactional incremental (not a sql expert so not sure)

Anything else that I should check?

Thanks

when you look at sessions during the backup window, are you seeing them hanging around? Are you seeing timeouts for clients in the actlog? Maybe they are losing connectivity but aren't releasing their connection to the server, causing sessions to pile up. Also, keep in mind that the setting for max sched sessions is a percentage, if you indicate 100 for this option, 100% of the value of maxsessions is allowed. The way you have it set up now is 80% of the maximum number is sessions is available.
Also, are you using any randomization? A standard for my shop is 25% so not everything kicks off right when it is scheduled.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I will try changing max sched sessions to 100%, any cons to this?

I don't think we are using any randomization, I will look to see, then again I have to find where that option is, i assume it is on TSM server and not on the client side.

I think next step will be to look closer at TSM during backup window and like you said observe what is going on with sessions. I am going to take a closer look. I looked at the act log over past few days and don't remeber seeing any other errors except the max sessions but maybe I missed it.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Back