TDP and SQL 2008 Backup Compression

Schmalenbach

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello,

I am using TDP 5.5.2.1 and SQL 2008 Enterprise Edition in an active-passive cluster environment.

Since SQL 2008 supports backup compression, I'd like to use it to reduce the backup time, traffic and restore time.

I got a database, which has a backup size of 10,1 GB uncompressed. The compressed backup only needs 1,4 GB.

The backup compression setting is a SQL 2008 server option, it is no database specific option.

When I backup the database via TDP, the uncompressed method is being used.

Is there any way to use the backup compression via TDP?

Kind regards
Sebastian Schmalenbach

have you added the "compression on" parameter in your dsm.opt file?

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc....itsmfd.doc/dpsql64.htm#dps_ref_cfg_dpoptions
Yes, but it didn't work out as expected. It seems like the TDPfSQL is using a proprietary data compression. In comparision with the SQL data compression, the TDP compression sucks. I have savings from 100-200MB, which is about 1% of the total backup size.

Today I talked with the IBM support and it seems like TDP simply isn't using the SQL compression, yet. Don't know why. Maybe this feature is to fresh. ;-)

Actually, this is a bad news, as we have to deinstall TDP on our SQL2008 servers because of this. :-(

Kind Regards
Sebastian Schmalenbach

Back