Tape Mounts

sfcc

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
How can I determine how many times a particular tape has been mounted? Is there a recommended upper limit on the number of tape mounts? Thanks.

I'm editing this as I now see TIMES_MOUNTED in the VOLUMES table as the location of this information. However, there is no way this is correct. Several volumes that I know get used routinely say mounted only 2 times or even 1 time. One volume says it was mounted over 1800 times! We've only had our system in place for a couple of months. Is there a known bug or problem with this number value?

I had a similar situation...in my case, it had to do with a 3584 library, though. I found that the mount retention (under the device class) was set too low...in my case, 1 minute.

Anytime a session using a tape "paused" for more than a minute, the mount retention would expire and the tape would be dismounted. When the session came back to life, it would need the tape again and request another tape mount. This would occur over and over again, which really slowed down some of my backups.

You don't specify that you're using an automated library, but perhaps this info will help.

Good luck...

-PB

Thanks for suggestion. However, my MOUNTRETENTION is set to 15 minutes as it my MOUNTWAIT. I think 15 minutes is high enough that it wouldn't ever dismount during a single process.

Back