Tape mgmt with offsite collocation ON

schetan

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I've had the onsite pool collocated for a while with good results. We're now enabling collocation on the offsite pool to help with the upcoming DR test.

Before offsite collocation was enabled we were sending to vault 2 copypool tapes + 1 DB backup daily. All copypool tapes were Full.

Now, because I have 8 collocation groups, I'm sending out 8 copypool tapes daily (in FILLING state at about 15% full) + 1 DB backup tape.

My questing is : how does TSM manage alll those partially filled offsite tapes, since reclamation will not work on volumes in FILLING state?

Any ideas, suggestions to help?

Thanks!

Oh Really??!
Not sure why or who once told me reclamation only works if the vol is FULL.

I will give that a try. It would be nice if the problem was as simple as that.

Thanks !

Reclamation on off site volumes works on the reclaimable percent per volume. If the volume is 2% used, 98% is reclaimable.

and something to consider as well, if you send tapes offsite because they are in a "mountable" state, regardless of their use - a tape that's only 10% used for instance, will most likely be reclaimed the next day.
We run a script to select the tapes most likely to be reclaimed due to tape drive contention and then set the treshhold for that pool to the calculated threshold setting that will yield 10 or 15 tapes per pool.

Back