Tape in library slot, but not in tsm inventory?

dilbertwin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I got a tape is still inside of the library but not able to check it out.
Below is the error. How do i add this tape back to the inventory database, or check it out?

error from log.
The volume A00004L3 in slot 4106 is in the library TS3310 but not in the TSM's inventory database. Please either check in this volume or remove it from the library.

This is what i got when trying to check it out.
"CHECKOUT LIBVOLUME: Volume A00004L3 is not present in library TS3310."

I have had this problem before. I actually had the tape out in my hand.From the library (depending on what you have) you can move teh tape out of the library, then check it back in with TSM.

May, from this board, gave me these instructions which worked well

Search the the tape on your 3584 Gui, "Remove" it, it will pu it on the "I/O slot"
you can reassign the tape to the right Logical library,
that will put the tape on the Vitrual I/O slots,
now you can pass a
checkin libv libname search=bulk status=scratch or private - not sure as you did not specify

PS thanks May!

Last edited:
should specify that I was doing this on a 3584 library - with ALMS enabled.....

how to i move the tape to the I/O slot?

i can't move it because logically its no in the library, but physically it is.

So TSM does not know it is there, but the physical library sees that it is there in a slot? right?
I am not sure if you have a web interface (ALMS for example) for your tape library, you can make the library move the tape to the IO door independant of TSM, this is the library doing the work here, then once it is in the IO door, you can proceed to check the tape back in using TSM.
If you do not have a web interface to access your library, i am sure you can move the tape from the library using the control panel on the front..
But if the tape is in the library and both the library and TSM does not see it at all, boys, i dont know about that... i would assume you could have the library scan all the barcodes again, or wait for downtime to open the library and pull the tape out of the slot by hand... however if i were you, i would wait for a second opinion on this method here.

That error you initially put down, is that from TSM?

Same problem

I had the same problem. This occured when one of the opperations crew checked the volume out and did not clear out the I/o slots before hand. So Tivoli checked it out of its system but had to put it back in a slot in the library. Fun stuff.

Anyway, I went to the Web interface for the library and it shows in there. I did the simple click on unload tape. Check for your 3584's WEb gui.

http://##.###.##.## <----- This would be the I.P. address of the Library.

Last edited:
Hi. In this situation, you need to run an audit library command. Example, if your library is a SCSI Automated library, issue this cmd.

Audit library libraryname checkl=barc

Then, run this command.

checkin libv libraryname status=scratch/private search=yes checkl=barc

if u know the volume is in private status, then give status=private in the above cmd, else give scratch.

Then, verify : q libv libraryname volname . This should show the volume inside the library. Once it is seen, you can use the checkout command with rem=bulk and checkl=no parameter.

If all these doesn't work, you can eject the tape from the library LCD panel, or open the door at last :)

Thanks. Let me know if it works.

nothing work, i already did library audit few times. log is saying this tape is not present in library, and mount request denied.

anyway, i just open the panel door, and manually pull out the tape from the library, and check it back in as scratch tape. looks fine now. thanks for the help everyone.

dilbertwin-

Have you try checking out all of the tapes with the remove "NO"
Then check in scratch 1st and then private. This will rebuild TSM volhist file.

>>-CHECKOut LIBVolume--library_name----+-volume_name-+---------->
'-| A |-------'

.-REMove--=--Bulk-----. .-CHECKLabel--=--Yes-----.
>--+---------------------+--+------------------------+---------->
'-REMove--=--+-Yes--+-' '-CHECKLabel--=--+-Yes-+-'
+-No---+ '-No--'
'-Bulk-'

Hi Dilbertwin , I had the same problems in the past and reason was thebarcode scanner. So I disabled it and problem was over.
Another reason could be if U manipulate with library (e.g. move cartidges) via library

Hi. In this situation, you need to run an audit library command. Example, if your library is a SCSI Automated library, issue this cmd.

Audit library libraryname checkl=barc

or --audit library LIB01 CHECKL=bar REFRESHs=yes

If this dont work you have to delete all path and drives and then re define again

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21376419

make sure all processes are closed and sessions as well (disable sess)
make command backup volhist --before anything, volhist file make it easy and have all define commands ready.

:)

Back