Stopping Space Reclamation

twillia

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that you could stop space reclamation by setting the reclamation value to 100%. Consequently, I have set up systems were I have an administrative event that sets the reclamation value to 70% at noon and back to 100% at 5pm. Now I am hearing a different story. I was told that space reclamation will not stop no matter what the reclamation value is set to, until it is done processing the volume. The only way to stop it is to cancel the process. On my system this seems to be the case wheter space reclamation is running for primary storage pools or copy storage pools. If this is the case, does anyone have a TSM Server Command Script that can be run at a specific time to cancel reclation processes?

Thanks.

Tony Williams

#!/usr/bin/ksh

#

# A quick fix script to terminate reclamation processes on a timed basis

#

for each in ` dsmadmc -id=your_ID -password=your_PW select process,process_num from processes where process=\'Space Reclamation\' |

awk ' /^Space/ { print $3 }'` ; do

dsmadmc -id=your_ID -password=your_PW can proc ${each}

done

Should work assuming your are unix based. AdminID and PW are required

Cancel is not instantly effective TSM continues until it gets to a logical termination ( End of file or end of tape) but it does happen eventually.

Cheers

SteveC

Back